Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Serger ? ? ? >
  • Serger ? ? ?

• Serger ? ? ?

Old 04-01-2011, 02:59 PM

What kind do you have,. I've decided on a Babylock With self threading. I hate threading machines
    Old 04-01-2011, 02:59 PM

What kind do you have,. I've decided on a Babylock With self threading. I hate threading machines
    Old 04-01-2011, 03:54 PM

i have a pfaff is over 16 years old works like a charm i make quilts with its
    Old 04-01-2011, 04:08 PM

Not self threading actually older but did not use will check tom. My grandson just out of hospital and just exhausted tonight. Will let you know.
    Old 04-01-2011, 04:19 PM

There are so many good points in this "thread". I have had my 4-thread Singer for about 22 years; cost $200 @ the time. I like that it takes the same needles as many of my old singers, so nothing special needed there. Love it the most for sewing fleece & knits for kids, as well as home dec. items. I've never used it for quilting, but saw a nice blue jean throw quilt with no backing that someone made for a car or picnic blanket & I'd like to try that sometime. I would like a newer 5 thread, but won't jump in for a few more years, as mine is running with no trouble ever. I might like to try a self-threader next time as well, but found 2 books to be especially helpful at adjusting my thread tension: "The complete Serger book" by Chris James & "The Ultimate serger answer guide" by Gail Brown. The first book has a lot of photographs (great close-ups of what a "good" stitch should look like. The 2nd has more sketches, but even so the 2nd saved me @ understanding the order of which thread must go first at the final threading to "Form a stitch"; unlike my machine's own book! BTW, both of these books were @ my library, but I referred to them so often, I got them on ebay for a couple dollars each & love having them handy. Sergers are not a good choice for the less mechanically inclined; IMHO. Absolutely make sure they teach you how to thread it BEFORE you buy it, & better if they offer free classes.
    Old 04-01-2011, 04:57 PM

Could a serger be used to serge around a puff quilt?Maybe then not put a backing on it?Any information is always welcome.I am very new at quilting.
    Old 04-01-2011, 05:23 PM

I have a Jaquar Serger. I've had it for several years and use it along side my Singer Sewing Machine when making clothes. It's also great for simple curtains. Haven't tried it on quilts yet.
    Old 04-01-2011, 06:01 PM

I had a Bernina serger for 15 hrs. I seldom used it because it was awful to thread and adjust. It took me longer to get it just right than to serge my project. I sold it and bought a Baby Lock. I bought the Eclipse. It is the greatest thing since sliced bread. The stitch quality is perfect every time.
    Old 04-01-2011, 08:41 PM
    Dee

Dh bought me a Brother 3/4 self threader on looper. I love it. Price I believe was 299.00. I use mine a lot.
    Old 04-02-2011, 12:20 AM

I agree with Janet, I love my new Evelution and I have used sergers for many years. I still have my old White that is over 20 years old and still purrs like a kitten. Dosen't do even a 10th of what the new one does. I wanted the cover stitch and a nice looking blanket stitch and to be able to sew piping etc with my serger. I have pieced whole quilt tops with the old one and I am sure I will with the new one also. They are very useful once you learn what they can do. I serge all my fabs with a 3 thread out of the cheepest thread and do not cut any off and loosen the tenn so threads do not tabgle in the wash for I pre wash everything unless it is flannel for a rag quilt of fab I will be making for chenille.
    Find a good local dealer that will give you classes on whatever you get but give a good look at the Baby Lock sergers, but Viking/Husquvarna for sewing machine. Smile
    ConnieF