Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Serger Thread >
  • Serger Thread

• Serger Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 04:00 AM

I use serger thread for everything = piecing and on my longarm quilter (& serging). I love the variegated cones from Hancocks for quilting on the longarm.
    Old 06-17-2011, 04:37 AM

This is interesting to me, as I have always been told to NEVER use serger thread in a regular sewing machine. My thought has been that if I can use metallic thread or other specialty threads why can't I use serger thread. I figured I just have to change the needle and tension to accommodate the bulkiness.
    Old 06-17-2011, 05:08 AM

THANK YOU LADIES!!
    I was afraid I was the only one that wasn't sure! You have all been a great help as usual.
    Barbara
    Old 06-17-2011, 07:50 AM

I use serger thread almost exclusively and have no problems with it.
    Old 06-17-2011, 07:52 AM

I use serger thread a lot. Just remember that it is 60 weight, not the 50 weight that standard thread is. It won't make much difference in piecing, but I wouldn't recommend it for machine quilting. I like 40 weight for most quilting.
    Old 06-17-2011, 08:09 AM

Serger thread is polyester, thus, it has less lint than most cotton threads. It is also stronger than cotton threads. Matter of fact, I've found that it is actually stronger that cotton fabric. Why, you ask?

I have used it in my quilts for years, but recently I discovered that it may be TOO strong. I used it for the lap quilt EVERYBODY uses when they watch TV. First one in the room grabs it. I made it about 25 years ago, and the piecing stitches have finally started breaking the pieces apart. Same thing happened to a lap quilt I made for my DGS 12 years ago. Lots of love and it started coming apart.

So I guess that the folks who've been telling us to use cotton thread for piecing have a point. But 25 years of use for my quilt and 12 years of really hard loving for DGS's quilt is pretty good ... By the way, the rest of the cotton pieces were not worn at all - just the seams.
    Old 06-17-2011, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Barbara Antman
    I have a cone of serger thread that is the perfect color for an upcoming quilt. I have searched for this color in all regular spools of thread to no avail.
    If I was to use serger thread on my regular machine, both upper and bobbin, would it harm, jam or "lint" up a machine that is not a serger :?:
    Thanks for your help.
    Barbara
    If you keep your machine cleaned, as serger thread is pretty linty, you should be ok.
    Old 06-17-2011, 08:11 AM

I tried serger thread in my mid-size Janome on a frame. It was a disaster. I had so much breakage I finally gave up and switched thread.
    Old 06-17-2011, 09:36 AM

I have a serger and gobs of cones but was told never use it in your sewing machine as it could harm the motor. So glad to read all the comments as now I am not afraid to try them and what a savings!!
    Old 06-17-2011, 09:48 AM

I use serger thread all the time. When it's on sale, I buy a ton of it. It does make a little lint, so everytime I change bobbins, I brush out my machine and bobbin case. My quilts are used and used and used and it has held up beautifully.