Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Serger Thread >
  • Serger Thread

• Serger Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Barbara Antman
    I have a cone of serger thread that is the perfect color for an upcoming quilt. I have searched for this color in all regular spools of thread to no avail.
    If I was to use serger thread on my regular machine, both upper and bobbin, would it harm, jam or "lint" up a machine that is not a serger :?:
    Thanks for your help.
    Barbara
    Serger thread isn't strong enough to quilt with, its only 2 ply. A friend of mine tried it, she ended up having to take all the quilting out as the thread kept breaking.
    Sharon W.
    Old 06-17-2011, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by glenda5253
    I'm glad this came up. For some reason I have a cone of serger thread---will give it a try.
    I have a Baby Lock and just started using a cone of thread I picked up at JoAnn's. I've filled 5 bobbins and did some applique with it and it sews beautifully. I use a paper towel holder and guide the thread up through a metal part of my standing lamp. lol

With the difference in cost and FEEL of this thread, I prefer it now. Actual quilting would probably be different as it isn't as strong or durable as 'quilting thread'. But then again, they didn't have specialized thread years ago either.
    Old 06-17-2011, 11:27 AM

I've used serger thread for years, but I only use MaxiLock. There is some type of code as to the quality and I can't remember what it is, but MaxiLock has the right code. I've used serger thread in my LAM for years and never had a problem. My fav is the variegated colors. Olivia's Mommy has washed her quilts many, many time and has had no problem with them falling apart. I always use serger thread in my FW bc it's so easy to clean.
    Old 06-17-2011, 01:06 PM

Your seams show the wear because the poly threads cut into the cotton fabrics over time. I have been using a serger and sewing machine for clothing with serger thread only and have had no problems for many years. But, with a quilt you have much more weight than clothing and in time the weight of the quilt will cause the poly thread to stretch and make the fabric weak in that area.

Good Luck

Suzy
    Old 06-17-2011, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by kingspb
    I've used the Maxi-Lock serger thread for a few quilts now and it has worked just fine. Sure is a money saver too!
    I also have used Maxi Lock serger thead with no problems for at least 2 years now. I use it in my Viking and Brother computerized machines as well as my FW.
    Old 06-17-2011, 05:45 PM

I use Maxi-Lock for piecing all the time.
    Those 3000 yards go a very long way.
    No problems at all.
    Old 06-17-2011, 06:08 PM

I have a bernina 440 and a Pfaff 7550 and I use lots of Maxi lock serger thread in fact I just finished quilting a queen size quilt with my stitch regulator and maxi lock thread in both bobbin and top it worked great and looked I do clean the bobbin case each time I change the bobbin and I use a size 12 or 14 schemtz top stitch needle
    Old 06-17-2011, 06:12 PM

I have used it to piece and quilt and never had a problem....
    Old 06-17-2011, 07:32 PM

I have used this thread for most of my sewing : either quilting or garment sewing for several years : NO PROBLEMS AT ALL. I put a tall chip canister to the right back of the machine & thread it as per usual: clean machine pretty regularly. go ahead & give it a try !
    Old 06-17-2011, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Barbara Antman
    I have a cone of serger thread that is the perfect color for an upcoming quilt. I have searched for this color in all regular spools of thread to no avail.
    If I was to use serger thread on my regular machine, both upper and bobbin, would it harm, jam or "lint" up a machine that is not a serger :?:
    Thanks for your help.
    Barbara
    I googled serger thread the other day and found out it is thinner and not quite as strong as regular sewing thread. My sis in law had picked up some thread for me a few weeks ago, and got serger instead of quilting. I'M NOT USING IT ON ANYTHING I SEW. Nope, won't do it.