Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Serger thread??? >
  • Serger thread???

• Serger thread???

Old 07-17-2011, 06:11 AM

no! no! no!
    Serger thread is a very weak thread. It does not have the strength to withstand quilting or the use of your quilt.
    It is fine for the stitch it is intended for, since the strength is in the stitch, not the thread.
    You CAN use it if you are serging your quilt edge before binding. I have done that, it keeps the layers compressed and it is easy to bind.
    Please do not use serger thread for sewing or quilting you will be disappointed when the thread breaks and your beautiful quilting comes out.
    D in TX
    Old 07-17-2011, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by june6995
    I have pieced with JoAnn's cone (serger) thread for a long time. I have had my Bailey Home Quilter to almost 4 years and it uses the same thread. I have never had a problem. I make a lot of charity quilts and do not think the more expensive thread is necessary. I also use sheets on the backs of my quilts and that is frowned upon by some quilters. If I were making heirloom quilts, it might be a different story. For me, thread is thread.

June in Cincinnati
    I agree with you!!!
    Old 07-17-2011, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by june6995
    I have pieced with JoAnn's cone (serger) thread for a long time. I have had my Bailey Home Quilter to almost 4 years and it uses the same thread. I have never had a problem. I make a lot of charity quilts and do not think the more expensive thread is necessary. I also use sheets on the backs of my quilts and that is frowned upon by some quilters. If I were making heirloom quilts, it might be a different story. For me, thread is thread.

June in Cincinnati
    June that is really good to know. I have a Bailey too and lots of cone thread from my serger. Since I rarely make clothing anymore I have lots! I thought about trying the serger thread on my Bailey but didn't want to press my luck.
    Old 07-17-2011, 07:38 AM

Here's a site that tells you why you shouldn't use serger thread for quilting.

http://www.thequiltshow.com/os/blog.php/blog_id/3800

"Most serger thread on the market is the cheapest type of spun polyester thread. When used on a serger, multiple strands of this thread are over locked, resulting in a strong and secure stitch. However, if used as a single thread for quilting, it is weak and fluffy. It doesn't make sense to put two dollars worth of thread onto a $300 quilt. Inexpensive serger thread has a loose twist, is not very smooth, has lots of lint, and is not intended for single-strand use."
    Old 07-17-2011, 08:10 AM

quality does count I have used it for years in lots of baby quilts multiple washings and dragging around still no broken threads it is mostly polyester so is stronger than cotton and a lot less linty but does depend on your sewing machine as some machines gets along great with it other are very fussy with the kind of thread you use anyway I like it
    Old 07-17-2011, 08:47 AM

I have both pieced and quilted with it. If the color and "look" is what I want, and it works, I use it!
    Old 07-17-2011, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by quiltlady1941
    can you use serger thread to sew your quilt and would it be ok to quilt the quilt with the serger thread?

Thank you :)
    OK, confession time -- a few years ago I would have said absolutely no, no, no - cotton thread is the only way to go for everything quilty. But I have had a complete turn-around about thread. Many famous-name quilters are using a good-quality poly thread and I plan on making a change when I get through with what I'm using now. I'm still not sold on the serger thread though - for me. Even when using non-quilt shop fabrics (like JoAnn's) I still prefer using something "not the cheapest" in thread. Withn the cost of anything made of cotton, I would not be surprised if lots of quilters opt for a change away from 100% cotton. Bob Purcell from Superior Thread is really knowledgeable about thread and he says that all the "bad facts" we've heard for years about poly thread simply are not true.

Thank you everyone about your experience using serger thread. I am sure that there is "quality" and "not-so-good quality" in serger threads, too. My eyes have been opened.

Sandy in Mooresville, NC
    Old 07-17-2011, 11:22 AM

Yes I use it and never had a problem!!!!!!
    Old 07-17-2011, 11:31 AM

I would never piece or sew a quilt with serger thread. I only use the best cotton thread I can find. First, serger thread is only 2 ply and short fiber. Sewing thread is 3 ply and long fibers. If you haven't read about thread, go to Superior threads and read about each kind, then you will understand why we have so many different kinds of thread. I would only use serger thread in the serger or if I was wanting to make something for a one or two time wearing like Halloween costumes for kids.
    Old 07-17-2011, 11:36 AM

i use the big cones for all my sewing and quilting never had a problem