Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Sergers --- Do you have one? >
  • Sergers --- Do you have one?

• Sergers --- Do you have one?

Old 03-13-2018, 09:51 AM
    Power Poster

I have had a serger since I could afford one in 1984. I have worn out one and bought another because I can't imagine sewing without one anymore. I mostly keep mine to overlock three thread. But for knits, the four threads come in handy. I don't use it for quilting, just clothing and home dec. I love it.

Last edited by RedGarnet222; 03-13-2018 at 09:54 AM.
    Old 03-13-2018, 09:53 AM
    Power Poster

Yes, I have one. A low end Bernina, and it decorates an upper shelf. Haven't used it in years.....
    Old 03-13-2018, 09:56 AM
    Power Poster

I have a basic Brother 1034D which I can thread pretty easily. I found a video tutorial which helped a lot. I keep it set up. I don't use it for quilts but do for other things like clothes, costumes, rolled hems etc.
    Old 03-13-2018, 10:16 AM

I also have a serger, the Ovation. I love it, nothing seems complete unless some of it has been serged. I've used it to make quilts, table runners, tablecloths, pillows, and of course clothes. I have a sewing table from Joann's that has a small swing out part and most of the time I use it right there. If I'm going to serge something big then I move it to the dinning room table. It is easy to use rather its overlock, 4thread is what I use the most or coverstitch, it all works great.
    Old 03-13-2018, 10:18 AM

I have a Juki 654DE and I love it! I've had it for over 10 years, made countless serger quilts and garments and curtains, etc with it. I serge the end of fabric when I prewash (which I hardly do) and yes, I often will serge the edges of a flimsy or the finished sandwich. Use it all the time.
    Old 03-13-2018, 11:24 AM
    Banned

I have a Janome serger that I've never used and an ancient Tuffylock that I love to use. It's a beast, haven't found anything yet that it won't cut/sew through.

Cari
    Old 03-13-2018, 12:09 PM

I bought my first serger in ‘81 i used it for clothes and home dec items for year and years. It finally died 7 or 8 years ago, and I got a Bernina TOL which is really a slightly modified Juki. I don’t do clothes as much as I used to, but I make fitted sheets for cribs and Pack ‘n Plays, plus some for a NICU. The elastic application foot is wonderful! I also generally serge the edges of my quilts before I put the binding on. It gives me a nice solid edge.
    Old 03-13-2018, 12:52 PM

Wow! Sounds like some great projects with sergers. Thanks everyone for the inspiration to get going again! Seems like there is never enough time to stitch!

Macybaby, Thanks for the pics of your set-up. That is really nice to have the machines ready to go. Love the power strip on the wall. I have a similar one for my iron station. Those EMB arms always take up precious space.

Mary Katherine, Oh Dear! Giggles, I hope you start using it again for stitching!

Romanojg, The air thread is so nice. Just a tip for you. I had the threading guide sheets enlarged and laminated at the local office store. They are much easier to follow if needed. Have you attended any of the 3 day events by BL for your serger? They are packed with great techniques.

Thank you Everyone!
    Old 03-13-2018, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by ArtsyOne
    I recently bought one at an estate sale thinking that I would make knit clothing for my granddaughter, but still haven't figured out how to use it.
    Curious---- how do you make knit clothing with a serger.....
    Old 03-13-2018, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Rhonda K
    Wow! Sounds like some great projects with sergers. Thanks everyone for the inspiration to get going again! Seems like there is never enough time to stitch!

Macybaby, Thanks for the pics of your set-up. That is really nice to have the machines ready to go. Love the power strip on the wall. I have a similar one for my iron station. Those EMB arms always take up precious space.

Mary Katherine, Oh Dear! Giggles, I hope you start using it again for stitching!

Romanojg, The air thread is so nice. Just a tip for you. I had the threading guide sheets enlarged and laminated at the local office store. They are much easier to follow if needed. Have you attended any of the 3 day events by BL for your serger? They are packed with great techniques.

Thank you Everyone!
    We have the sew n vac here and they are always doing an event. I also got a free one yr of serger club and then bought another year. I learned so much. I love the threading guide, it makes things so much nicer. I might have to try the enlarging thing. Thanks for the tip