Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Sergers >
  • Sergers

• Sergers

Old 10-26-2011, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot
    I serged a snowball quilt once and the back of that quilt was beautiful - the prettiest quilt back I've ever made.

If I were to make another flannel quilt, I would choose a pattern based on how well it works with the serger.

I use my serger on almost every quilt to even up the edges and give me a nice clean edge to which to attach the binding.

LOVE my serger!!! :)
    Now THAT's a good idea. To even up the edges, and 'fray check' em by serging them together before binding. Also like the idea of using the serger for flannel quilts. Usually flannel (I think) quilts tend to have bigger and fewer pieces. And flannel is beasty to work with - real stretchy bias, frays, runs, etc. The serger would serve to lock those seams and edges, keep them from unraveling when washed, etc.

Yeah, I like this idea. I've only ever made flannel PJ's... now I want to make a flannel quilt! (And I live in South Florida.... )!!!
    Old 10-26-2011, 11:45 AM

I bought my DD a Babylock serger at the thrift store for 5.00 about 7 years ago because she had always said she wanted one. She has never used it. Hasn't taken the time to learn how.

I wouldn't worry about not using one much. I have a lot of power tools that I used to use, but seldom use now. But they are there if I need them.
    Old 10-26-2011, 12:00 PM

I make about 20 Linus quilts a month. I make them pillowcase style and use my serger to make the initial pillowcase. I then turn them right side out and machine quilt them simply using a decorative stitch.