Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Seriously is it just me? >
  • Seriously is it just me?

• Seriously is it just me?

Old 12-10-2014, 10:32 AM
    Administrator

i would never question a person's decision to stick with the simplest, least expensive machine they can find.

i don't really understand why anybody would question my decision to get the best i can afford.
    i have worked hard all my life.
    so i felt entitled to treat myself to all the bells and whistles i could squeeze out of my budget.
    it's that simple.
    Old 12-10-2014, 10:40 AM

If you can afford it and it makes you happy then you don't need to justify the cost to anyone. This is how I feel about my treadle. Did I need another machine? No but it was one of the best gifts I've ever given myself. I hope everyone feels the same about their machine no matter the cost.
    Old 12-10-2014, 10:54 AM

I bought a Brother, Laura Ashley, Innovis, NX-2000 two years ago with my husband's help. I don't have the budget for a long-arm & have no desire to quilt other people's quilts. I can't keep up with my own! This machine was $2200.00 & worth every penny!! My little machine is also a Brother & is my travel machine, but only has about a 5" throat. My NX-2000 was designed by a Quilter for Quilters, came with everything I'd need to quilt right out of the box. I did research all the major brands for a year before getting the NX, but none came close to the quality & features for the price.
    Old 12-10-2014, 10:57 AM
    Power Poster

I have never in my life said out loud 'I can't afford that'. I may know I can't but I will never say it. Saying it makes it true and I'll never have it. I just tell myself one day I will have that. I have been around others that say Oh I can't afford that or it's too expensive for my blood and it does nothing but bring negativity to the whole idea. I just keep my mouth shut and wish they would too. As far as a new high end machine. 99% of my quilting is straight stitching. That's all I will use on the machine that cost thousands so I haven't felt the need to want one. I never feel guilty about spending money on myself either. My DH and kids never felt guilty, that sunk in after a few years of giving up what I wanted for them to get what they wanted. That way of thinking stopped for me.
    Old 12-10-2014, 11:03 AM

For me its space and funds, I bought my dreamweaver because I am the primary breadwinner and all my money goes to my childs education and needs so I figured for all the hard work I do I deserve at least one nice thing for taking care of my family. I don't spend often on myself unless I work overtime or get a bonus so that is why I bought a nice machine for me. Yes its a lot of money but I figure I'm worth it
    Old 12-10-2014, 11:08 AM

Arianna, I've read your post a few times, trying to make sure I am understanding you. Are you asking why someone would sink a lot of money into a DSM, as opposed to a similarly-priced LA that has potential to pay for itself via a business? If so, then what did you mean about the Bernina? That it shouldn't be on a frame when it can do a lot of other things? If that's it, then I'd think you would like it that the Bernina could potentially pay for itself as a LA.

From the responses, it looks like the posters think you are asking why pay a lot for a DSM when you could spend it elsewhere. Which is a different question altogether. Maybe you could elaborate?

Hugs,
    Charlotte
    Old 12-10-2014, 11:43 AM

I pain $1099 for my Janome 6600. I don't have the space in my house for a longarm or the money to purchase one... Maybe someday I could fit something on a frame, but not at this point.

Last edited by SusanSusan33; 12-10-2014 at 11:53 AM.
    Old 12-10-2014, 11:44 AM
    Power Poster

I totally agree with what you are saying. I have been quilting on my Bernina 1530 since the early 90s when she was the top of the line. Bought it new for just under $1,000. I have always had to be frugal with my income but if you can afford, then go and enjoy it !!
    Old 12-10-2014, 12:29 PM

I love to do machine embroidery and my Viking Ruby is worth every penny I paid for her! I also have a plain jane machine that is wonderful if all I wanted to do was piece quilt tops. No, I do not believe people should go into debt to buy a sewing machine. Mine was a treat AFTER we had finished putting all three of our kids through college.
    Old 12-10-2014, 12:43 PM

I think it's interesting that when most people hear "longarm", they think you're going to quilt for other people and/or make some kind of business out of it. Honestly I made that assumption too... a friend of mine bought one and I made that statement to her, and she pretty much said, no way, this machine is for ME! Her husband owns a business and they've got the money so she had no qualms about it. And I say good for her! I can't afford it myself (actually, wouldn't want a standing longarm but I'm drooling over some of the new sit-down longarm machines...LOL) so I live vicariously through my friends!