Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • setting seams with iron first >
  • setting seams with iron first

• setting seams with iron first

Old 08-26-2024, 05:27 AM
    Power Poster

I don't do it. Just a step I don't find necessary.
    Old 08-26-2024, 09:48 AM

I sewed fashions before I learned to quilt, so setting seams is in my DNA lol. I did a lot of tailoring things back in the day lol, hand picked zippers, hand sewn padding in the lapels... yeeeeeesh lol
    Old 08-26-2024, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by scrappingfaye58
    I sewed fashions before I learned to quilt, so setting seams is in my DNA lol. I did a lot of tailoring things back in the day lol, hand picked zippers, hand sewn padding in the lapels... yeeeeeesh lol
    I was never taught to do this when sewing clothes, even by my home ec teacher. BUT, I do set the seems when quilting, 95% of the time, whether I'm pressing open or to the side. I do think it makes for a flatter seam. I've always thought that it kinda "warms up" things, so when I press, the fabric and thread are more flexible to go where I want. I'm probably crazy....
    Old 08-27-2024, 04:23 AM

When joining those pixel quilts' blocks, I first used the wooden roller tool to flatten seam to one side; then apply hot iron; then use a clapper with a 1 kilo weight on top. Extremely flat seams, and virtually no trimming! I haven't tried setting seams first.
    I do press, as opposed to ironing.
    Old 08-29-2024, 04:54 AM

OK, I experimented yesterday. I stitched 2 squares together, then set the seam before pressing to the left. It did not help. In fact, not setting the seam made for a flatter side press!
    Old 08-29-2024, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by cat-on-a-mac
    I was never taught to do this when sewing clothes, even by my home ec teacher. BUT, I do set the seems when quilting, 95% of the time, whether I'm pressing open or to the side. I do think it makes for a flatter seam. I've always thought that it kinda "warms up" things, so when I press, the fabric and thread are more flexible to go where I want. I'm probably crazy....
    I learned to set the seam when making garments, but it certainly wasn't from my home ec teacher. The home ec, I taught only taught me basics my mom had already taught me. I learned to set seams when doing tailoring and more advanced types of sewing. Yes, I made suits to wear to work back in the 90's. Double welt pockets and the whole thing. It was tough but had the best wardrobe in the office on a very moderate budget.

I also feel that having the fabric warm makes it more malleable and easier to press as I want to.
    Old 08-30-2024, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by aashley333
    OK, I experimented yesterday. I stitched 2 squares together, then set the seam before pressing to the left. It did not help. In fact, not setting the seam made for a flatter side press!
    I think the best thing to do is experiment for yourself, I have found that the setting a seam does help me get a flatter seam as sometimes when I do not do that the seam will roll a bit and then I get a little crease where it shouldn't be and then I end up having to reset the seam and straighten it out before pressing to one side again, but I bet there are a lot of factors that actually go into it.