Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Sew Essentials Cutting Table >
  • Sew Essentials Cutting Table

• Sew Essentials Cutting Table

Old 12-23-2011, 11:36 AM

I have this table, I've had it for years. I originally bought it to use it as a cutting table and never had a problem with it, but I upgraded to a more substantial table, it just didn't seem heavy enough for all the leaning into it I was doing. I converted it into an ironing table, it's great having such a large surface for ironing. One of the rollers did break off at the post, so when I move it (which is rarely), I just place the roller back into the proper metal post when it's set up again and it stabilizes, no problem.
    Old 12-23-2011, 11:49 AM

http://www.shopwiki.com/Home-Fabric-...ables-and-Mats
    look here for great mats... you can put it on any table and have a much better quality and larger cutting surface...mine (5' x 8') rests on 2 ironing boards with 2 hollow core doors on top (i asked for any damaged doors at the hardware store and paid $12 for a door with a hole on one side, and $10 for a door with a bad corner... I did attach the doors together for stability, but everything can be stood up against the wall to store, but usually is in sewing room... i would just rather pay 179 for a big cutting surface than 149 for smaller surface and wobbly legs...
    Old 12-23-2011, 11:54 AM

http://www.advancedsewing.com/spread...ingtables.html

I have been talking to a sewing machine dealer in Denver, Ralph's Power sew, where I am going to purchase my dream machine. We have also talked about tables, one like the unicraft standard cutting table is what he recommends. One day I hope to get one. They are sturdy and can be ordered to fit your space.
    Old 12-23-2011, 12:17 PM
    Power Poster

I have one I bought from Joanns many years ago. I just replaced it with a cutting table from Horn which I love. I used the one I bought from Joanns for years and it took a beating but was a good table.
    Old 12-23-2011, 01:30 PM

I had mine for about 20 yrs before it fell apart. That was mostly my fault for shoving it around and not properly unlocking the wheels every time. But I used the heck out of it so i think I got my money!
    Old 12-24-2011, 07:22 AM

I have the drop leaf that I bought for $59 years ago. It works great and dosnt take up to much room.
    Old 12-25-2011, 06:21 AM

I've had the cutting table and the matching desk for over a yr now and love them both. there is a lot of room; it is very sturdy. The biggest problem I saw was when people were putting them together they were trying to tighten all of the screws as they went. Being someone who has put many, many things together they key is to only partial tighten the screws as you go (like on each hinge) and once all of the screws are in the hinges then you tighten them up. If you tighten as you go it'll look like the holes don't line up. I put this together by myself and it was very easy. I wouldn't bother buying the large cutting mat that they show with it sometimes because it doesn't self heal and I had hardly used it when I thought all of my rotaries were dull but it was the mat. That was the waste of money because it isn't self healing. I give it top ranking in my book.
    Old 12-25-2011, 07:16 AM

I think that is the table I have. I purchased it from JoAnns many years ago. At present it is fully open with the mat on top but it is piled so high with fabric both in boxes and just piles that I can only see the front couple of inches of the mat. Just enough to be able to use the measuring strip on the front edge. I produce an average of 20 Linus quilts a week and need a place to stack the various piles of fabrics for that project and others. There is also room underneath for more boxes and bins. The drawer holds some of my collection of rotary cutters and my "junk drawer" sissors. I don't know how sturdy it is but it has not collapsed yet. EVen if it did it would have trouble falling down with all of the stuff underneath of it.
    Old 12-25-2011, 07:47 AM

I purchased a kitchen island off craigslist and it works perfectly. It is very sturdy and has drawers on the front.