Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Sewing area lighting >
  • Sewing area lighting

• Sewing area lighting

Old 01-26-2010, 03:54 PM
    Power Poster

I was just working on putting together a top in deep red and black the the lighting in my room stinks.
    What type of lighting do you use to supplement an overhead fixture. My ceiling light has those energy saver bulbs and I do not find that they give off a great light to work under
    Old 01-26-2010, 04:11 PM

I use the Ott lights - I have one for the table top that has a magnifying glass (great for the ripping out part!) and I also have a floor OTT one that I move between my cutting table and ironing board and sewing machine. Also have another floor one at my cutting table. I agree with you - those new lights do not give off enough light for my old eyes!!!.
    Old 01-26-2010, 04:13 PM

I use the ott lights and/or the knockoffs (which are just as good and cheaper!) One of my favorite "natural daylight" lamps came from walmart. I have one on my sewing table and one by the ironing board plus my hubby replaced my dinky 2 foot florescent light with a 4 foot one. It is not beautiful but definitely functional!! I think all told I only spent about $70.
    Old 01-26-2010, 04:57 PM

LOL I bought a cheap drop light like the one men use in their shops, pluged it in over my work area......now is that cheap.....lol
    Old 01-26-2010, 05:15 PM

I hated the energy lite bulbs...I am frugal and all for saving money but those bulbs in my sewing rm drove me crazy....I use Spectrum Light bulbs-love them...I also have a light attached to my table and its on a hinge/swing arm so I can move it as needed.
    Old 01-26-2010, 05:22 PM

I have 2 Ott lamps in my room. One is a floor lamp that swivels over my area and another is a clip on that is at the end of my table. My sewing table is a 6 foot banquet table that I just love because of all the room.
    I do have an overhead light/ceiling fan, but that's just for extra lighting for ironing.
    I do agree...those new fangled lightbulbs are a pain when trying to do any sort of work.
    Old 01-26-2010, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by beachlady
    I use the Ott lights - I have one for the table top that has a magnifying glass (great for the ripping out part!) and I also have a floor OTT one that I move between my cutting table and ironing board and sewing machine. Also have another floor one at my cutting table. I agree with you - those new lights do not give off enough light for my old eyes!!!.
    Yes thats the one [ott table top light] I was trying to explain in my post....lol I love it.
    Old 01-26-2010, 05:31 PM

A floor model OTT light would be a great asset to you. That is what I have and I love it!! You can often get them at Joann's for half price. I also have a portable OTT for wherever I am doing needlework.
    Old 01-26-2010, 05:58 PM
    Power Poster

Yes Mamaw, I just checked Joann's website and the Ott lights are on sale now. I am leaning towards the floor model thinking that I will be able to move it out by my hand quilting frame, which is in another room due to space requirments, or next to the chair that I use when knitting and watching TV, but the one that attachs to the sewing table could be very handy as well. But I need to invest in something and soon, just sewed two more sections for the quilt I am working on and my eyes are killing me
    Old 01-26-2010, 05:59 PM
    Power Poster

Well, I have a window on my right. On a sunny day it is great. Funny thing though, it does not help much at night.......... :D