Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • sewing class for homeshcool >
  • sewing class for homeshcool

• sewing class for homeshcool

Old 09-22-2011, 03:08 AM

Just had to update on our first sewing class. I had 3 of the 4 come but it was fun! A 6 year old, 9 yr, and 11 yr. I am pretty sure the 6 and 11 year olds will stick with it. We talked a lot about this first week, goals, types of quilts, rules, etc. Next week we actually sew with thread.
    The tip about sewing on notebook paper without thread...EXCELLENT!!!! Thank you.
    Can't wait until next class...we are going to make a pin cushion and paper piece pumpkin out of scraps...my plan anyway!
    Thanks for all your encouragement and please send any more advise my way!
    Old 09-22-2011, 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by sumcoop
    Just had to update on our first sewing class. I had 3 of the 4 come but it was fun! A 6 year old, 9 yr, and 11 yr. I am pretty sure the 6 and 11 year olds will stick with it. We talked a lot about this first week, goals, types of quilts, rules, etc. Next week we actually sew with thread.
    The tip about sewing on notebook paper without thread...EXCELLENT!!!! Thank you.
    Can't wait until next class...we are going to make a pin cushion and paper piece pumpkin out of scraps...my plan anyway!
    Thanks for all your encouragement and please send any more advise my way!
    Hope your students enjoy your class as much as you do!
    Old 09-22-2011, 03:13 AM
    Power Poster

I think that is wonderful to start them out young.
    Old 09-22-2011, 03:54 AM

Sounds like fun!!
    Old 09-22-2011, 03:59 AM

HI! Great job.

I am a veteran homeschool Mom (17+ years) and I taught quite a few homeschoolers to sew beginning at the age of 5. Since then, I have been teaching my 3 and 5 year old grandchildren. They love it!

Sewing with out thread on paper is great. Did you teach them about needle down, then pivot, then continue sewing? I used to draw zigzags on the paper and they learned to pivot on the points. Of course, they always felt so proud of themselves. Making small straight line projects gives them such a sense of pride.

The hardest thing for me was to only give verbal instructions and talk/walk them through it. I remember having to hold my hands behind my back because I wanted to just reach out and do it myself. Yikes.

I also taught them to make their own simple apron pattern out of newspaper and then how to pin and cut it and sew it. It is sew fun to pass on the skill of sewing/creating. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
    Old 09-22-2011, 04:01 AM

don't forget projects for boys too, my grandson likes to sew also, maybe like the nail aprons from home depot? nice easy pattern
    Old 09-22-2011, 04:59 AM

I think this is a great idea! I taught my son when he was 8-9 and it's just another life lesson. He's 14 now and all his friends come over and are crazy over my sewing stuff, they think it's the coolest thing.
    Old 09-22-2011, 05:43 AM

Being able to sew on a button or mend a small tear is a good skill to have. If those things are all that they take away from the class it will be successful. Don't forget to teach them to cook simple meals too. If you can sew on a button, boil water, and cook an egg you will be able to make it as an adult.
    Old 09-22-2011, 05:50 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
    HI! Great job.

I am a veteran homeschool Mom (17+ years) and I taught quite a few homeschoolers to sew beginning at the age of 5. Since then, I have been teaching my 3 and 5 year old grandchildren. They love it!

Sewing with out thread on paper is great. Did you teach them about needle down, then pivot, then continue sewing? I used to draw zigzags on the paper and they learned to pivot on the points. Of course, they always felt so proud of themselves. Making small straight line projects gives them such a sense of pride.

The hardest thing for me was to only give verbal instructions and talk/walk them through it. I remember having to hold my hands behind my back because I wanted to just reach out and do it myself. Yikes.

I also taught them to make their own simple apron pattern out of newspaper and then how to pin and cut it and sew it. It is sew fun to pass on the skill of sewing/creating. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
    just had to giggle, I too teach on the paper..even drawing waves, circles, etc...but I always have to hold my hands behind my back or in my pockets too!
    Old 09-22-2011, 05:52 AM

WE sometimes forget how awesome children can be. My grandson designed, sewed and quilted a jacket for his mother when he was 7. He also uses the long arm and does a better job than I do. He is 12 and doesn't have much spare time now that he is in middle school. My 8 year old grand daughter started making her skirts 2 years ago. Saves a LOT of money on school clothes.