Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Sewing in a cold basement,  HELP! >
  • Sewing in a cold basement, HELP!

• Sewing in a cold basement, HELP!

Old 10-11-2012, 07:26 AM

We purchased a 'ceramic' type electric heater at Sam's Club. It is tall and thin; nice that it fits in the corner of my sewing area. It has a remote control, thermostat that displays room temp when it is turned on, then setting the desired temp and away it goes. Works great.
    Old 10-11-2012, 07:28 AM

My only question is, didn't you know your basement was cold in the colder months? I know my rooms upstairs get hotter in the afternoons so I always machine sew in the early mornings.
    Old 10-11-2012, 07:30 AM

I use to live in a house with a basement, the furnace was also placed in the basement, the duct work ran through out the house , but located in the basement, I just took one of the duct lines and cut an extra vent in it and it kept the basement cozy.
    Old 10-11-2012, 08:23 AM

I sew in our basement, half of the basement has vents so they are warm, but not my part. I have 2 large work lights hanging over my cutting table and my sewing table, and initially it is cool when I first start sewing, but the heat from these 2 lights really warms me up. I have a small portable space heater but haven't had to use it. I usually dress warmer when I want to sew but have to take a layer off as it gets too warm then.
    Old 10-11-2012, 09:07 AM

Maybe someone has said this.... they are about 100.00 - but the INFRA-RED heaters heat only "objects" not the air. They are very practical in open spaces - I have a friend that uses one in his workshop/shed. Please be careful with any non-electric space heater that might give off "fumes" - CO or CO2 - in an enclosed space.
    Old 10-11-2012, 09:19 AM

All of the suggestions are good. Do look at the windows and walls; can they be covered in some way to stop leaking the heat into outer space. We, too, use an oil-filled radiator-type heater that we purchased from Sears several years ago. They are quiet and radiate the heat well. We need it for a corner room, exposed to the wind and cold. My daughter uses 2 of them in her old house.
    Old 10-11-2012, 10:20 AM

My sewing room is in the basement. I have one of those cast iron stoves that looks like old fashioned stove. The door is glass and looks live logs burning. You turn that on and it heats up so toasty, and you can turn it off and the metal still radiates the heat and keeps it warm. Highly recommend it.
    Old 10-11-2012, 10:45 AM
    Power Poster

[I use the dish heater. I got it at Costco for about 60 dollars last year....It is radiant heat and it works good. It is also economical to run....My daughter liked mine so well she got herself one.
    Old 10-11-2012, 02:06 PM

I have an infrared heater-larger one & it works pretty well with the other suggestions. Dealer said to set heater off floor as concrete absorbs the heat. After buying several I found a heater with a fan does the best. the oil filled I have doesnt' have a fan & not efficent enough.
    Old 10-11-2012, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
    I broke down and bought one of these for this drafty old cottage last year and I love it! It's quiet, doesn't "blow" on me, can be heated up and turned off to let radiant heat come from it, and the size I bought is very portable. They can even serve as a side table - you can actually place things on top of them. http://www.edenpure.com/

Jan in VA
    Thank you for the link, Jan. I've just placed an order for the Eden Pure.