Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Sewing Extension Table >
  • Sewing Extension Table

• Sewing Extension Table

Old 01-16-2010, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by watterstide
    LindaK, are you sure it wasn't a door they used? i could of swore they made one out of an old door they got..they did it on tv..thats about all i remember..
    No, it was a table--one like my sister had at the time. It was an inexpensive one that was being sold in stores in my area.

They carefully cut out the place where the machine would go, built a board with sides that they screwed on the underside of the table. It looked quite easy to do if you had the tools and someone to help you.
    Old 01-16-2010, 12:00 PM

They are expensive but they are definitely worth it. My first one was a big one, then I changed machines and the opening wouldn't fit, my new machine had a wider area. My husband has a saw that can cut smoothly through acrylic so he shaved off some of the acrylic until it fit. I can now use it on both machines, the slightly larger gap doesn't cause a problem. Now I was told by the supplier that there was NO WAY that could be done and it would knock the table off balance, etc., but it's works just fine.

I have since bought 2 more smaller ones so I can take one to class with me and have one at home too.

To keep them from getting scratched, I cut down an old pillowcase and cut slits in the top, threaded a ribbon through to use as a drawstring, and store the small table in that. The bigger table fits in a pillowcase without cutting it down.

These tables last forever, which is probably why they are a little pricey, they don't wear out. I've had the big one for 20+ years and it still looks new.
    Old 01-16-2010, 12:02 PM

I made mine with plexiglass from Home Depot. I made it to fit a card table. The hardest part was cutting the plexiglass. We used dowels for the legs and put covers on the bottoms of them. Make sure you file the edges and corners. I love it and made a fabric bag to carry it to classes. I got one w/my Pfaff but it is smaller. I really got used to the big one and use it even with piecing and smaller projects. I think I would try making something and see if you like it before buying one. There have been some really creative ideas on the thread.
    Wendy
    Old 01-16-2010, 12:08 PM

ok a table, wasn't it a great idea though?!
    just make sure, with what ever you cut out, wether it be plexi or wood..that the machine is sitting where you want it..that your not to far from where your sitting..be comfortable!
    Old 01-16-2010, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by watterstide
    LindaK, are you sure it wasn't a door they used? i could of swore they made one out of an old door they got..they did it on tv..thats about all i remember..
    I found the instructions on her site. Go to the "free patterns" and it's called turning a farm table into a sewing table. No pics but easy instructions.
    Old 01-16-2010, 12:14 PM

someone else i know used an old door, solid..i think they used cinder block to support it..ahhh the forgetting..lol!
    Old 01-16-2010, 01:33 PM

I just bought a new machine and an extension table comes with it. I can't wait to try it!
    Old 01-16-2010, 01:58 PM

I bought one last summer and love it. They are made to fit specific machines, in my case a Janome, but it's worth every penny. I bought mine at my LQS for around $80, no shipping required.
    Old 01-16-2010, 02:10 PM

This is a really nice set up and you can even order a light table insert for it. I hope to be able to get one for my featherweight. The nice thing it is on wheels, it would be great to take places for classes or vacations if you weren't flying. It is kind of pricey, I just saw it at the Road 2 California quilt show.
    Old 01-16-2010, 03:22 PM

Could you please post a picture as I am very interested in making a plexiglas one. I have the styrofoam, stacked one which is great except I have trouble with the cutout in the vinyl when I am piecing as the fabric wants to catch on the opening for the needle and feeddogs, plus it is a pain to change the bobbin which is under the vinyl. Plan to make an extension table and use the styrofoam for the rest of the surface of my 8' table.