Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • ? on sewing Jellies & Charms with pinked edges?? >
  • ? on sewing Jellies & Charms with pinked edges??

• ? on sewing Jellies & Charms with pinked edges??

Old 10-02-2014, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2
    white for the background but my best friend who is also a quilter suggested black. Not a fan of sewing on black due to poor eyesight.
    I too have difficulty seeing black, but my reason is because of aging eyes. I find sewing on black at night the worst as far as seeing the edges. My solution.... I bought one of those cheapo student desk lamps (shade is shaped like a bullet) and put it behind my machine. I had to fiddle with the placement of the lamp so that it didn't reflect off the throat plate but once I found the right spot it helps me see the edge of my fabric so I get a more accurate 1/4'' seam. Now they have those small lights that you can stick onto your machine but they are more than I want to spend but I'm sure they would work as well as a desk lamp. The light on my machine just throws too many shadows.
    Old 10-02-2014, 02:37 PM

I agree with Geri B and Mckwilter about using the top of the pointed edges of the pinking as the "edge' of the strip.

I do the same as dotti dodge all the time just to give me extra light - have a small lamp that I bought at Ikea for a very small cost that is ultra bright and I place it on the other side of the machine from me. I can direct the beam right to where I am sewing. Sewing black on black is hard whether day or night and I need the extra brightness.
    Old 10-04-2014, 04:32 AM

Nancy Zieman, I believe has a pattern specifically for wheelchair quilt. it is an odd shape, less fabric on the sides from the knee down....so it doesn't get caught or rub the wheels....very simple, not as much fabric and not too bulky for the user.
    Old 10-04-2014, 05:08 AM

how about a 'light' navy blue. I use this sometimes instead of black as it is easier to see to sew and also not so dark.
    Old 10-04-2014, 06:06 AM
    Power Poster

The pinked edge has never bothered me, I just see it as solid fabric with notches in it. The fabric edge is still there.
    Old 10-04-2014, 07:56 AM

Love your design! Your lap quilt will be beautiful! Sorry that you are having trouble with the pinked edge. Frankly, I prefer sewing fabrics with a pinked edge, especially Kona cotton. I hate having to cut off all those fraying threads before sending a top to the LAQ. (I just leave the threads if I quilt myself.) I use a 1/4" foot with a blade on my Featherweight, have the top of the pinked edge next to the blade, and end up with perfect seams. I don't sew as fast on my Featherweight as I do on my Bernina. Maybe the slower speed helps me. Best wishes with your seams.
    Old 10-04-2014, 08:25 AM

Here is an interesting wheelchair quilt. Maybe they would like something like this?

http://www.quiltingboard.com/links-r...ns-t62483.html

Beautiful quilt. Sorry you are having problems with the pinked edges. I don't have any suggestions other than what has already been given.

Last edited by Suzanne57; 10-04-2014 at 08:28 AM.
    Old 10-04-2014, 10:09 AM

WOW !!!!! This quilt is beautiful. Love your colors. I would call this a happy quilt.
    Old 10-04-2014, 11:12 AM

Gorgeous pattern! I've always gone with the outside edge of the pinking and that has not saved me from having to square up my blocks, make adjustments, take out seams, etc. I'm with you on sewing on black, but I just did a quilt for my son with gold quilting on the black border and oh it turned out so beautiful. Back to your original question, I will stay with sewing on the outside edge of the pinking and make the necessary adjustments as I have for the past twenty or so years. Which also brings the question, why is it necessary to have a piece that is 3 and 7/8 inches? That 1/8th is going to stop the world from spinning? There is a free pattern on Craftsy for an Inverted Star and it is absolutely gorgeous, but it also required that you make your measurements exactly as directed. It takes a little longer to check and recheck, but oh my gosh it was worth every minute.
    Old 10-04-2014, 11:24 AM
    Power Poster

Having once been in a wheelchair recovering from spinal surgery, I think a slightly longer quilt than a square would work, particularly if you are making the quilts for men. It's a very nice thing that you are doing, I'm sure they will be very appreciated.