Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • sewing machine for a child >
  • sewing machine for a child

• sewing machine for a child

Old 04-22-2010, 08:31 AM

I have a Kenmore from Sears for over 25 years. I brought it in for service last week for the very first time as I thought it wasn't running correctly and all that was needed was a cleaning and oiling. ($62.00) I originally bought the machine to make clothing but now use it for quilting. You could check on-line at Sears. I sure their basic model is affordable plus if anything happens Sears is always there. Good luck
    Old 04-22-2010, 06:10 PM

I say go for the regular size Brother. You won't regret it and neither will she. Let us know what you decide and how she likes it, ok.
    Old 04-22-2010, 09:35 PM

If I were you I would look at a better model. Brothers are good machines but the model you are looking at is very basic and your GD will grow out of it quickly. I would at least look at the BM2600 or the BM3500. Yes these are more costly but they give you more options. Generally you get what you pay for so my advice would be to spend as much as you can afford I'm sure your GD will like what ever you buy.
    Old 04-22-2010, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
    my granddaughters each received a BROTHER ($89 from wally world) when they decided it was time to have their own...they work wonderfully are good beginner machines and
    THE FEATURE I THINK IS THE MOST IMPORTANT FOR A CHILD'S MACHINE....SPEED CONTROL!!!if the machine has a way to slow it down/speed it up it is a good thing. the kids have much better success when you can turn the speed down for them so it doesn't matter how hard they push on the foot pedal.
    my youngest gd started quilting at 4 on her own machine...now that she is 9 she has moved her speed up to about 1/2 way...
    I completely agree!! I bought a simple $100 machine for my 8 year old. It works great and she loves it but I regret not getting one with speed control.
    Old 04-22-2010, 09:44 PM
    Banned

You could always buy them a treadle, that would get them some exercise and it would really help with the coordination department. And talk about a learning curve.....:mrgreen:

Thats the type of machine I taught myself how to sew on.

Billy
    Old 04-23-2010, 07:21 AM
    Banned

I can't answer as far as better, but I was on my monthly browse trip to Joann's they have a machine on sale for $49.? something It looked like a good little machine and if I had money I would of got it for my mom. God bless. Penny