Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Which sewing machine for doing a queen size quilt? >
  • Which sewing machine for doing a queen size quilt?

• Which sewing machine for doing a queen size quilt?

Old 07-22-2011, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming_quilter
    Originally Posted by Lucky Lady
    Sorry if you found my question offensive.
    Your question isn't offensive. I think it is a good idea to find out what people like and don't like about their machines. Once you have some input it might help you narrow your search. Like everyone else will tell you, go test drive and go prepared with a list of your wants/needs and questions. Best of luck in finding the right machine.
    Also, there is very little objective research out there so its a good idea to poll users before spending so much money. Consumer Reports finally did a survey a few years ago but most magazine "surveys" seem to just list features. That is quite useful but a) they don't recommend one over another for fear of offending advertisers (presumed), and b) there is no information about repair rates or warranties (which seem to be inadequate, in my view, for such a large purchase). There are always rumors, but I pay attention when I hear the same complaint from people whose judgement I trust, about the same machine or manufacturer.
    Old 07-22-2011, 06:33 AM

I agree about asking about a floor model. Now is the time, especially when the new models are coming out. I got a fantastic deal on one I just bought. Saved thousands. The best part was I really don't think it was a floor model, just stock they had on hand.
    Old 07-22-2011, 06:57 AM

I have a Gemsy midsize (10" throat) It's a generic of the Juki....I love, love, love this machine and it's much cheaper than a Juki. I got mine used..a drapery/upholstery person bought it new yrs ago and traded it in for a new one and then I came along drooling for a Juki. This looks just like a Juki, and works like a Juki. I got it at my little hole in the wall sewing machine repairman's shop and never looked back. It's wonderful. The sewing machine dude reconfigured it for just quilting and wouldn't let me take it home till I learned to use it. It can go about 98 MPH if I let it....had to learn to slow it down. It doesn't go on a frame. It has it's own table with a huge motor underneath plus (get this) an OIL PAN. It has a huge foot pedal (about the size of a treadle) and knee lift. You will see either these or Jukis at dry cleaners...it's their machine of choice.
    Good luck in your hunt. I'm sure you'll find just the perfect one for you.
    Old 07-22-2011, 06:59 AM

I cannot suggest the best machine but I can suggest an easier solution: send it to one of the great LA's here. Only kidding; I understand why you want to do-it-yourself. Just thought I would through in a little humor (sorry). Hope you find a suitable machine. I personally have used my Viking with a 7" throat and it was not entirely easy but doable. I would suggest the largest throat you can find. Hope that helps.
    Old 07-22-2011, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by Amythyst02
    Originally Posted by It'sJustMe
    A little off subject, but this might help you to be able to go for the machine of your dreams...
    A member here suggested asking the dealer if they could reduce the price if buying the floor model. I did exactly that and saved $100 on the $1000 Janome MC6300. Mind you, I did check out the machine before popping the question - it was virtually brand-new - so felt confident I was not buying a used and abused machine. Times are tough, and at the end of the day, shop keepers want that money in the register. Happy hunting!!
    Oh thanks for that tip, I missed it somewhere, and its a great one !! I would have never thought of that.

I followed this advice when I asked about the price on my new bernina 440QE a few weeks ago. I went back to the shop owner and she reduced the price by $300. It was only used on the floor for 2 months and I got the full manufacturers warranty.
    Old 07-22-2011, 07:43 AM

I have a Janome 6600P. it has a quilting setup with a built- in walking foot and a 7 feed dog system instead of 3. It works great and is not that expensive. Very versatile machine.
    I hope you find what you are looking for.You can find a good buy online sometimes, even with free shipping.I did a lot of researching on machines and test-drove a lot before I made a purchace.
    Old 07-22-2011, 07:55 AM

I just went thru the same thing! Drove myself and the stores, going back and forth between Viking, Bernia, Janome, etc. I finally decided on a Janome Memory Craft 6600. By the way, when did sewing machines cost as much as a used car????? My last machine was a Singer about 40 years ago! Anyway, back to the subject!

I noticed that all the quilt stores in my area all basically used Janomes in their classrooms and the instructors almost all had the Janome. I liked the Janome because it had the dual feed, all the main accessories that you need for quilting and sewing, and I could it seems noone had any negative responses! I bought one 3 months ago and have not regretted it!
    Old 07-22-2011, 08:08 AM

I have the Janome Horizon 7700 -- it has the accufeed and is a great quilting machine. Before that, I had the Janome 6500. I also have a Juki on a frame. The Juki is just a straight stitch while the Horizon has a lot of fun stitches.

You were looking to have both a sewing and quilting machine -- when I bought the 7700 I had been looking for one machine that would do both, but the harps on the embroidery machines were smaller than the 11" Horizon harp and I the 6500 had as small a harp as I wanted. Once I saw the big harp, the extra lights and the free arm, I just got the Horizon. I have had it over a year and it is doing well.
    Old 07-22-2011, 08:18 AM

Lucky Lady! I was drooling for the Horizon but it was out of my price range! Fortunately, the dealer has a 100% value trade-up policy if I decided to trade up within a year so I still have hope of owing the Horizon!
    Old 07-22-2011, 08:35 AM

I have had a Jamone 7700 for a year and keep enjoying it more and more. The harp space does make quite a difference in being able to manuver the quilt around. It quilts so smoothly and evenly without always messing around with the tension. There are a lot of machines to fall in love with! Good luck in your quest for the best!