Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Which sewing machine for doing a queen size quilt? >
  • Which sewing machine for doing a queen size quilt?

• Which sewing machine for doing a queen size quilt?

Old 07-23-2011, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Lucky Lady
    Sorry if you found my question offensive.
    I'm sure Holice did not mean to be offensive. I was pretty much going to say the same thing! :-D
    Old 07-25-2011, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by Rann
    Originally Posted by romanojg
    I have the Viking mega quilter and it does a great job. Mine is a 9'in throat so I have alot of room to move with. I just ordered a walking foot; don't know why Viking doesn't include one since it's a quilter but it is what it is. I have also been interested in Janome; I have a Kenmore/Janome from Sears and it does a great job quilting except it doesn't like to go over bumps. I bought the Viking #1 because I couldn't afford the newer ones and I want to try machine embroidery; it's in the shop right now but getting excited about getting it out soon. Make sure what ever you get you get a walking foot; can't believe the difference it makes since I don't know how to free motion; YET
    Maybe you could try a jeans foot so it will go over bumps better. Is is made to go overe seams in jeans.

Of course I agree with everyone about checking all of the machines and test driving them. However the most important thing that you need to ask yourself is where am I going to get service and support after the purchase. This is by far the most important part of the purchase. If I had not had the support of my dealer after the purchase of my first machine I would have quit right there. Also check the hours that the dealer or company that you are buying from is open. I find that a lot of dealers are closing at 5pm and not open on Sunday's and are otherwise limiting their hours of operation. It seems to me that if you are going to be sewing as most of us do if we have have a full time job it is on nights and weekends when a lot of dealers are closed. That is one reason that I went with Viking. Just my 2 cents worth.

Also as far as a walking foot not coming with the Mega Quilter it is because it was really designed and packaged to go on a quilting frame therefore no need for a walking foot.
    Old 07-26-2011, 05:53 AM

I have a brother PQ1500 that I just love. The throat is 9 inches
    Old 07-27-2011, 07:42 AM

Print out the best price from a web site and take it to your local shop.
    They will bend over backwards to match the price.
    The benefit is you will have future service at your local shop.
    Old 07-27-2011, 11:17 AM

are you getting the walking foot that snaps on or you have to use a screw to put on. I have the screw on and would like to have a snap on but they are expensive.
    Old 07-27-2011, 12:35 PM

I have a Husqavarna Saphire and love it. It has 12-13" space and works great for Queen or King quilts.
    Old 07-28-2011, 05:47 AM

My Sapphire 830 measures 10 inchs from the needle to the end of the throat.
    It is so much easier to shove a quilt thru but I will not go bigger than a lap size with it.
    The only thing I do not like about my machine is the short space you have to change feet and thread the needle and my hand gets in the way. It has a threader but to lazy to learn to use it. You have to take the screw out to put on the walking foot,and the free motion feet a real pain.
    With a set in table it is a hassel to push the button to lower the feed dogs, I have to lift my inset to get to it. These are small gripes and love my machine.
    Old 07-28-2011, 08:39 AM

You are right it is only 10". But it still works with queen and king. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I love my machine.
    Old 07-28-2011, 10:32 AM

The Sapphire is a great machine but for long arm Ive got to go a different way.
    I just bought the Imperial quilt frame, a straight stitch machine and a stitch regulator. If I cant quilt a quilt with that I will give up. Its in lay away right now.
    I only make up to lap size but want to go bigger and it is tough enough pushing a small quilt thru let alone a bed size.
    Old 07-28-2011, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by hopetoquilt
    My suggestions
    1. If you are going to spend $, get something good. Don't go half way. You will be disappointed.
    2. Purchase from someone who can also answer questions and service the machine.
    3. Consider getting a good brand that is used if you want to save $. Don't be afraid to negotiate the price or ask, "can you do any better on this price?" for new or used. Get a warranty and try the machine at the store and have it demonstrated on to make sure it works well.
    4. Bring a WIP with you to try the machine

I have a BabyLock Quilter's Choice and love it. Happy Shopping.
    I agree with her answer to your question. I bought a used Pfaff, which I love, at a Babylock dealership. My only other suggestion would be to choose the dealer and his/her shop carefully. If you like the people there, you may enjoy your machine even more.