Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Sewing machine with embroidery?  help please >
  • Sewing machine with embroidery? help please

• Sewing machine with embroidery? help please

Old 02-04-2011, 10:11 PM

I would almost suggest that you wait and save your money up to get one of the "higher end machines" I have a Husqvarna Viking Designer Se Le. Now while my DH ( it was my anniversary gift) was able to get the floor model that had only like 30 hours on it (nothing for these machines) he did still end up paying close to 3600 for it. However, My dealer also had a "pre loved" machine of just the Designer Se for 1800 bucks...which had all the kinks worked out and such.
    I love love love love my machine. And i am glad that I decided on it. I think i have put close to 30 hours on it myself doing the embroidery ( i have only had it since Aug) yes there are tons of bells and whistles, some i still don't even know how to use, but it is a breeze to sew and quilt on, does beautiful embroidery and my dealer is always there to answer my questions. ( oh and the machine never has to be oiled lol)
    Hope this helped =)
    Old 02-05-2011, 12:56 AM

i would say 5x7 too
    Old 02-05-2011, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by Vicki W
    I have a Brother SE400 and I am enjoying it. Joann's has it listed for $599 but you can get it at Amazon.com for $369
    This is a good beginner machine, but after about 3 to 4 months you will wish you had the one with the larger hoops. How do I know this, I did. I purchased the SE400D because it was cheap and had disney built in, but after I saw the limitations, I upgraded to another Brother machine that has larger hoops and paid a couple of thousand and now I love my machine.
    I have embroidery everywhere and it's as addictive as this quilting board. hahha
    Old 02-05-2011, 06:34 AM

Get the best machine you can afford and from a local dealer. That way you will get lessons too, very important! Yes, I agree that the minimum hoop size is 5x7. Most designs can be done this size and some larger. Very few are smaller.

I have two machines, both BabyLock and they are great. I got the first one as a pre-owned to see if I would like it and then bought the Ellegante several years later. Wow, what a wonderful machine even if it is pricy :-P
    Old 02-05-2011, 06:40 AM

This is just my opinion. I wouldn't get a combo machine. If one portion of either breaks down, you are now out the other portion. I would get a nicer emroidery machine. I have a brothers PE700II, I love it. I get that going and still use my sewing machine at the same time!
    Old 02-05-2011, 06:43 AM

I have 2 brothers, a big 8500 and a 270D that I take to classes etc...the 270D is a cheaper one I got one Overstock..com for less that $300 and their shipping is great...only does a 4x4 but if you want bigger you need to pay more....hope this helps
    Old 02-05-2011, 06:45 AM

I had the Brother SE 400 for one week. After using it, I realized I wanted a larger hoop area. I returned it and got the Brother PE 770 with the 5 x 7 hoop. I love it!
    Old 02-05-2011, 06:52 AM

I have played some with mine and have been amazed. I fuse my fabric, put it in the frame and touch a few buttons and the machine does the rest. Prompting me when to change colors.

The instructions on changing it from sewing to embrodiery are clear and straight forward. I am playing with it again today :)

I agree it only does 4x4 but I wanted it for accents.
    Old 02-05-2011, 07:10 AM

THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH! It sounds like I need to stay away from the Singer Futura, I currently use a Singer now, that I got from Hancock fabrics, a basic machine and the Singer customer service is definitely not there at all. I know that I will want to do bigger embroidery. I think I will call up a local sewing machine repair shop and see what he currently has available. Heard he sells his for what he has in them as far as repairs. Very good idea also on perhaps saving up and purchasing a embroidery only machine, perhaps I can get more 'bang' for my buck. I sincerely appreciate all of your advice and experiences!!!! it sure has helped me a lot on directing me on the right path.
    Old 02-05-2011, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by Vicki W
    I have a Brother SE400 and I am enjoying it. Joann's has it listed for $599 but you can get it at Amazon.com for $369
    It is also available at Walmart for $369, free shipping from site to store. -- understand it only has a hoop for a 4" design. If you want something bigger you will pay more. It does have computer access through usb, for downloading patterns.