Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Sewing machine suggestions for a new quilter >
  • Sewing machine suggestions for a new quilter

• Sewing machine suggestions for a new quilter

Old 08-07-2011, 05:56 PM

Hi! I am new to quilting, just starting to prepare for my first one. I have done a lot of sewing in the past, but i don't have a machine of my own. I was hoping to get some suggestions from the experts for what would be a good machine to buy, that will last a long time, isn't terribly complicated but has enough bells and whistles that i won't need to buy a new one when i (hopefully) get a little better at quilting. I would like to keep the price under $500. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!!
    Heather
    Old 08-07-2011, 06:01 PM

Try to get one at a yard sale or at Walmart to keep the price low. IF you can find a zigzag, it may hold you for many years. Make sure you love it first before you spend all that money.
    Old 08-07-2011, 06:12 PM

I don't know what kind of quilting you intend to do but I recently got this one off Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Brother-Afford...1933362&sr=8-1

It comes with 3 quilting feet. I haven't used it yet. Just got it Tuesday. I've been doing my piecing with a Jannome 3128 and got this Brother hoping I'll be able to do my version of stitch-in-the-ditch, which won't be in the ditch, but alongside it.
    Old 08-07-2011, 06:14 PM
    Banned

go to a shop that sells and repairs machines. Ask for a good used one. You don't need a lot of fancy stuff. Good straight sewing, able to drop feed dogs is about all you need to start. Many like the old straight sewing machines for their durability. Don't worry about fancy at this point when you are starting. Also be sure it is one that you can get a 1/4" foot and walking foot and darning foot for.
    Old 08-07-2011, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Holice
    go to a shop that sells and repairs machines. Ask for a good used one. You don't need a lot of fancy stuff. Good straight sewing, able to drop feed dogs is about all you need to start. Many like the old straight sewing machines for their durability. Don't worry about fancy at this point when you are starting. Also be sure it is one that you can get a 1/4" foot and walking foot and darning foot for.
    Great advice. Since you're new you want a dealer's warrantee(if possible) and they will provide you with classes and education that none of the big box stores or internet will give you. Good luck!
    Old 08-07-2011, 06:20 PM
    np3
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Candace
    Originally Posted by Holice
    Great advice. Since you're new you want a dealer's warrantee(if possible) and they will provide you with classes and education that none of the big box stores or internet will give you. Good luck!
    I agree!
    Old 08-07-2011, 06:33 PM
    Power Poster

I have the Brother cs6000i - Love it :thumbup: My mom and Sis have the Brother 9000 they bought beginning of year from Walmart 199.00 now down to 149.00 new model came out :wink: They love theirs
    Old 08-07-2011, 07:05 PM

I think you should get a walking foot also. You will use it a lot once you get going.
    Old 08-07-2011, 07:21 PM

Welcome to the board from Southern California!!
    Old 08-07-2011, 07:54 PM

Hello and welcome from the Mississippi Gulf Coast. I have a Brothers Project Runway Limited Edition CE-5000PRW Computerized Sewing Machine that I use to do my quilting and craft sewing. A Husqvarna Viking H/Class 500E that I use mostly for quilting and embroidery. They are both simple and easy to use. Wal-Mart has some pretty nice ones.