Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Sewing machines broke >
  • Sewing machines broke

• Sewing machines broke

Old 08-24-2013, 06:39 PM

Default Sewing machines broke

I'm in tears. My beloved sewing machines broke. Yes - the new one is frozen in the up position. It is a Brother SE350. Any ideas on how to fix it?

So I got out my beloved Bernina 630 (yes it is old) and everything I sewed seemed to gather- adjusted tension and still did it. It then smelled a little warm so I stopped. Any ideas on how to fix it?

Son's college quilt did not get done- but we did get him moved into college today. Quilt will have to wait until I can figure out a solution. Hopefully I can fix it at home.
    Old 08-24-2013, 06:53 PM

Surely you can fix one of the machines. It won't be too long until your son's quilt is finished, I just know it. (It's always something, isn't it?)

My bet is on you! Sorry that I know nothing about your machines, but someone here will. Just want you to know that you aren't alone...

Dina
    Old 08-24-2013, 10:30 PM

I feel your pain! I trust all goes well as you find a solution. What have you done to try to fix the first one?
    Old 08-24-2013, 11:50 PM

For the brother, I would unplug everything, unhook everything, then reconnect everything. If the computer is frozen you can still lower with the hand crank. Hope it gets fixed fast
    Old 08-25-2013, 02:18 AM

Did you change the electric leads or keep the same one? For the dozen machine. Switch off and leave for a day go back clean it coletely undoing as much asossible with out ruining the warranty.you will be finishing the quilt tomorrow.

Hot smell has some one put oil in the wrong place or used the wrong oil. Or does it need a clean because some fluff somewhere.
    Old 08-25-2013, 03:45 AM

If the Brother is new I would immediately take it back to the dealer - actually, I would take them both either to an authorized dealer, or if the Brother's warranty is not still in effect, to a certified sewing machine repair place. I know that can be expensive, but to me it is well worth not making matters worse by trying to fix things myself that I know NOTHING about. Good luck no matter what you do.
    Old 08-25-2013, 04:26 AM

If you haven't tried this yet, Take the bobbin housing apart as much as you can. There may be a snippet of thread caught in the movements. Also, rethread your machine with polyester thread. Then cut the thread at the spool and pull it through by the needle. Then do it again, sometimes there is lint caught in the tensioner. these are a few of the "tricks" I used to due to free up my dmil's singer 401A all the time.
    Old 08-25-2013, 04:48 AM

So sorry. When my machine doesn't work right, I worry over it like a sick child. Hope yours gets fixed soon.
    Old 08-25-2013, 06:49 AM
    Power Poster

So sorry I hope it I hope it is nothing serious!
    Old 08-25-2013, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by nhweaver
    If you haven't tried this yet, Take the bobbin housing apart as much as you can. There may be a snippet of thread caught in the movements. Also, rethread your machine with polyester thread. Then cut the thread at the spool and pull it through by the needle. Then do it again, sometimes there is lint caught in the tensioner. these are a few of the "tricks" I used to due to free up my dmil's singer 401A all the time.
    I totally agree with these suggestions. When my Bailey freezes up, removing the bobbin and hook will get it moving again.