Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Sewing machines >
  • Sewing machines

• Sewing machines

Old 08-26-2011, 06:26 AM

I used two older Kenmore mechanicals for my niece and great-niece. Took both in for cleaning and tune ups so they would rune at their peak. If they showed an interest in sewing they got to take the machine home. One did, one didn't.

Oh and the one who did keep up with the sewing - I let her use my newer Viking one night and she said that it sewed so much better than hers! (I told her to save her money)
    Old 08-26-2011, 06:36 AM

I found a free Singer 533 from 1978 for my granddaughter. She helped clean it and feels very possessive of it. She has made a quilt top here on it, but her dad says she can't take it home until it jams and she learns how to unjam it. It hasn't jammed yet. She needs to come back and do the batting, quilting and binding and then we'll see. She also has a pillow to make. When these are finished, we'll decide where the machine is going to hang out. She did offer me $39 for my Elna. No sale!

I think buying a machine and using it for a project is a good idea. Looks aren't everything.
    Old 08-26-2011, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by Jingle
    I don't know about the basic machines, depends a lot on what they may be doing. I would get them new machines, they may be more eager to learn with new machines.
    I heard the Brothers are better than the new Singers.
    I love my Brother cs6000i - I've had it for three years and it is great. Lightweight, lots of stitches, a walking foot and FM quilting foot. I've "grown up" now and just purchased a Janome Horizon but will keep the Brother for classes.
    Old 08-26-2011, 09:27 AM

Brothers are good dependable, inexpensive machines. I have had 2, the first one I passed on to DH when he started quilting. I still have my newer one, though I am not using it right now. I prefer my vintage Singer 301. But for kids, I think the newer basic machines are fine.
    Old 08-26-2011, 03:38 PM

Cheap brothers all the way, got mine off overstock.com just keep the packaging if you order from them, but they have excellent customer service
    Old 08-26-2011, 03:56 PM

If I might recommend something other than a cheap Singer? Anything would be better.
    I am looking at the Hello Kitty by Janome for my 8yr DGD.
    Old 08-26-2011, 03:59 PM

I would get out the old machines and test their interest! OMG, I see a lovely machine on craigslist today for $10, if I didn't have plenty I would go buy it myself! The old ones are tanks and reliable!
    Old 08-26-2011, 04:14 PM

I would get out the old machines and test their interest! OMG, I see a lovely machine on craigslist today for $10, if I didn't have plenty I would go buy it myself! The old ones are tanks and reliable!

sorry for the double post, internet boggie tonite!
    Old 08-27-2011, 03:43 AM
    Power Poster

The good old Singer 404 was used in home ec class back in the day when girls actually learned to sew well. The Singer 404 is cheap because it hasn't caught on like the FW or the 301. It is slightly heavier. I got one for my DGD's 7th birthday coming up the 3rd. The 404 has a drop in bobbin. It threads front to back. It is well lit. There are no bells and whistles to distract. It isn't terribly heavy. It has a slant needle so you can see what you are doing without getting sore neck and shoulders.
    Old 08-27-2011, 04:19 AM

If you have a Hancock's close to you, they run a great sale on Janomes less expensive models pretty often too. I love my Janome.