Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • sewing machines >
  • sewing machines

• sewing machines

Old 10-03-2010, 02:56 PM

I also have the Brother CS6000i that I ordered from Walmart.com. I've never had a problem with it.
    Old 10-03-2010, 03:05 PM

At the prison, I have 4 - Brother 5000(something) Project Runway. These are over 3 years old. 2 are not working very well right now. They were $140.00 and have really held up well, considering we have probably put binding on 3000 quilts combined with them. AND, it's men who use them. They don't handle them with kid gloves like we ladies do. ☺
    Old 10-03-2010, 03:30 PM

thank you so much ladies. I really appreciate all of the advice. I knew I could count on you for help.

QUILTSRU
    Old 10-03-2010, 03:53 PM

I have a two Walmart sewing machines that is going on 12 years old with no problems.
    Old 10-03-2010, 08:49 PM

Walmart machines:-
    I have 2 Brother CS6000i machines, my daughter has one, and BFF has one. I have sewn on all of them and had no problems.
    I also have the Brother 270D and have used it for embroidery and for sewing.
    No problems with it either.
    I bought my Singer serger at W-M too, and use it all the time, and never had a problem with it either.
    I keep all these machines clean, and they work fine.
    Old 10-03-2010, 09:02 PM

When I set up my classroom I purchased 4 Brother 2125i's from Walmart, they worked great and I kept them until I upgraded. I sold one to a gal taking a class and the teacher was so impressed with it, she contacted me and purchased the other 3.

I recently recommended the CS6000i to the parents of one my summer students that want to get their daughter a machine for Christmas. I have heard nothing but good things about it. A few weeks ago I met a gentleman quilter who had purchased one from Walmart 2 years ago and liked it so much, he bought one for his daughter - can't get a better recommendation than that!

While it is true that if you buy a machine from Walmart, they will not take it back, you still have a valid warranty with the company of manufacture, be it Brother or Singer. You will have to return it directly to Brother or Singer but they will cover all servicing and shipping back, which is considerably cheaper than paying for the repair yourself. Just don't throw away the box and packing material!
    Old 10-03-2010, 10:26 PM

I bought a Brother machine at Walmart. I hated it. It was almost 20 yrs ago though.
    Old 10-04-2010, 04:39 AM
    Power Poster

I highly recommend Brother machines from Walmart! they are user friendly, inexpensive, and will last a couple years giving you the opportunity to learn and save for a more expensive machine.
    we used to have a little sewing school, we used 5 brother machines from Walmart ranging in price from $89- $159...
    the cheapest one was the favorite! but they all held up to lots of abuse! it is a good start;
    some people believe these to be 'disposable' machines...i think of them as great starter machines. if you only sew a little bit, or are just starting out it is a great place to start. and in a few years if you find you have about worn your machine out it will be time to move up to bigger and better. but if you find in a couple years you seldom sew anymore, well, you are not out alot.
    Old 10-04-2010, 05:39 AM

These 6000i and 270D machines that I have are now over 3-1/2 and 5 years old, and I sew on them daily. I have made many quilts including bed size as well as wallhangings on them, and embroidered several hundreds of projects. And have toted these machines along to class and sew-dates too often to count.
    Time has not shown a decrease in the function of these machines.
    I also have a Bernina 440QEE, and the Brothers have stood up just as well, with actually far more use than the Bernina. If I damage the Bernina, or if it needs servicing, I'm out a whole lot more money than would be the case for the "smaller" machines. Which are smaller of course, and a lot less monstrous to carry around.
    I keep the machines clean, and have no plans to "trade up" because everything I've wanted to sew has been accomplished on these lighter-weight, lighter-class machines.
    I guess they could be seen as disposable, because if I threw away all the ones I have now and replaced them all with new ones of same brand, I would still not spend what one "cadillac" sewing machine would cost, nevermind trying to buy all the extra feet and attachments for the expensive machine.
    Old 10-04-2010, 05:51 AM

I have the Brother CS6000i from w-mart. Have had it a couple of years now and only serviced once (due to MY screwup). Lots of nice decorative stitches and automatic buttonhole sewing - worth a TON to me. I think the fact that it's a Brother brand is more important than where it came from. Good luck and happy sewing with whatever you ed up with!