Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Sewing Room >
  • Sewing Room

• Sewing Room

Old 07-27-2010, 04:47 PM

Just my opinion but I think gas heat of any kind will dry out your fabrics and turn them yellow. Have that Dearborn checked and be sure it is only burning a blue flame, and put a carbon monoxide detector or two in the house. Can't wait to see it.
    Old 07-27-2010, 04:56 PM

Just a thought here, we installed a ductless air conditioner in one room of my house and it has been wonderful! I was able to free up the window and it cools the large room much better than a window unit.

Sounds like you really have alot of work cut out for you. It should be just wonderful after you get to see the light of day with it! Just think, you could hold little mini retreats!
    What Fun!
    Old 07-27-2010, 05:06 PM

I was born and raised in Wichita Falls. I've been gone from Texas for over 35 years, but sometimes I still get homesick for the open skies and mesquite trees!! I love the idea of a small craft house. Please post pictures -- even 'before' and then the 'after' would be great to see.
    Old 07-27-2010, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by sewgray
    Just my opinion but I think gas heat of any kind will dry out your fabrics and turn them yellow. Have that Dearborn checked and be sure it is only burning a blue flame, and put a carbon monoxide detector or two in the house. Can't wait to see it.
    Thank you, I certainly will do that.
    Old 07-27-2010, 05:43 PM

One other thing to think about:

Does the heater run off of propane (not natural gas)?

You may possibly be scrubbing not only nicotine and smoke but propane doesn't burn quite as clean as they'd like you to believe. When we cleaned and sold my grandparents house that had been heated with Dearborn heaters and propane there was a golden brown film all over everything. If I were going to have fabric stored in the house with a heater of that type, I would store it in ziploc bags, just in case!
    Old 07-27-2010, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Linda B
    I was born and raised in Wichita Falls. I've been gone from Texas for over 35 years, but sometimes I still get homesick for the open skies and mesquite trees!! I love the idea of a small craft house. Please post pictures -- even 'before' and then the 'after' would be great to see.
    Hi Linda, yes I live in Burkburnett.I've lived here since 1960....moved here when I was 16 from Garland. When I get to go on vacation and see all the pretty scenery and get back close to home I wonder why we live in such a flat place.LOL

A clean spot on the front door
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]69759[/ATTACH]

A clean spot in the kitchen
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]69760[/ATTACH]

A clean spot on the ceiling.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]69771[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-69754.jpe   attachment-69755.jpe   attachment-69766.jpe  
    Old 07-27-2010, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by cookiej36
    One other thing to think about:

Does the heater run off of propane (not natural gas)?

You may possibly be scrubbing not only nicotine and smoke but propane doesn't burn quite as clean as they'd like you to believe. When we cleaned and sold my grandparents house that had been heated with Dearborn heaters and propane there was a golden brown film all over everything. If I were going to have fabric stored in the house with a heater of that type, I would store it in ziploc bags, just in case!
    Hi Cookie, it is natural gas but I am still a little concerned about moving the fabric in there.
    Old 07-27-2010, 05:56 PM
    Power Poster

Hi Carol, Wow, I think we're all a bit envious of your complete sewing house!! LOL
    I use plastic bins to store some of my fabric and have had no problems. Not sure about the other stuff but I don't see how heat and AC would hurt anything. I have both.
    Good luck and keep us posted!! :D:D
    Old 07-27-2010, 06:04 PM

Thank you all so much. I will try to keep you updated. I'm excited about it. I know it's just going to take time.
    Old 07-27-2010, 06:36 PM

How exciting, I would love to buy the house next door to us and call it the "Craft House" My husband thinks our present home is already the "Craft House!!!" LOL

One question, has the electrical been updated? We have a late 1930's home, that fortunately had been updated in the 70's. You might want check that out and install a higher amperage for your irons and sewing machines so you don't blow a fuse. My DH put higher amp circuits in my sewing room, which is a remodeled attic to accomodate my sewing stuff and a separate circuit for the window air conditioner unit. Enjoy your space!!