Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Sewing Room >
  • Sewing Room

• Sewing Room

Old 07-27-2010, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by CAKELSEY
    I want to thank you all for your advice. I knew you all would come through for me. If you could see this place you would not be jealous. It is a lot of work. It had been used for a rent house for the last 7 years. The last one was a heavy smoker so I'm scrubbing walls and ceilings to paint....not a spot in the kitchen without a grease spot. If I can pull this off I will post pictures but it will take time. I've been scrubbing for nearly a month now. Hard on the old arms and shoulders. Thanks again
    Have you tried slicing a bunch of apples and placing them all over the house to draw out the smoke. It really does work. I bought a used car that had been cleaned, deoderized (sp) the whole thing and still smelled like smoke. Put the apples under the seats and in a few day it smelled much better and got it all out.
    Old 07-27-2010, 07:01 PM

Just curious, how do you claim your second house for tax purposes? Your first one would be homestead, can you say the second one is a hobby house or vacation home? Not being noisy , just thought about doing this too. But didn't want to struggle with the tax laws.
    Old 07-27-2010, 07:01 PM

I grew up in Garland, now live in Mesquite. I bet we know some of the same people.
    Old 07-27-2010, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by angelwatcher
    How exciting, I would love to buy the house next door to us and call it the "Craft House" My husband thinks our present home is already the "Craft House!!!" LOL

One question, has the electrical been updated? We have a late 1930's home, that fortunately had been updated in the 70's. You might want check that out and install a higher amperage for your irons and sewing machines so you don't blow a fuse. My DH put higher amp circuits in my sewing room, which is a remodeled attic to accomodate my sewing stuff and a separate circuit for the window air conditioner unit. Enjoy your space!!
    Not much has been updated in that house. I do know the air conditioner is on a separate circuit....now. Last week we changed windows with the AC and when we plugged it in it blew it up. Someone had changed the plug to a 220. So we had to buy a new window unit. There will actually be 3 window units in the house when I get through.
    Old 07-27-2010, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Elizabeth "Liz"
    Originally Posted by CAKELSEY
    I want to thank you all for your advice. I knew you all would come through for me. If you could see this place you would not be jealous. It is a lot of work. It had been used for a rent house for the last 7 years. The last one was a heavy smoker so I'm scrubbing walls and ceilings to paint....not a spot in the kitchen without a grease spot. If I can pull this off I will post pictures but it will take time. I've been scrubbing for nearly a month now. Hard on the old arms and shoulders. Thanks again
    Have you tried slicing a bunch of apples and placing them all over the house to draw out the smoke. It really does work. I bought a used car that had been cleaned, deoderized (sp) the whole thing and still smelled like smoke. Put the apples under the seats and in a few day it smelled much better and got it all out.
    Thanks Liz, that is one I had not heard of but sure will give it a try.
    Old 07-27-2010, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by PurplePassion
    Just curious, how do you claim your second house for tax purposes? Your first one would be homestead, can you say the second one is a hobby house or vacation home? Not being noisy , just thought about doing this too. But didn't want to struggle with the tax laws.
    I don't really know yet. I just told the appraisal dist. that I bought it because it is ajoining property and it will be used as an outbuilding and that no one will live there. I live on a corner so the addresses are on different streets but I consider it part of my back yard. Like I said there is only about 9 feet from my patio to the other house.
    Old 07-27-2010, 07:19 PM

Oh my.. Looking at the pictures of your 'clean' spots, it does look like you have a LOT of work ahead... One day at a time, on part at a time.. You'll love it once it's done, and you'll always know what's going on over there now. I'm sure you'll enjoy it more than you can even guess.. You just need to order some 'elbow grease' from someplace!
    Old 07-27-2010, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Judie
    Oh my.. Looking at the pictures of your 'clean' spots, it does look like you have a LOT of work ahead... One day at a time, on part at a time.. You'll love it once it's done, and you'll always know what's going on over there now. I'm sure you'll enjoy it more than you can even guess.. You just need to order some 'elbow grease' from someplace!
    Yes Judie, it is a slow process. At least I don't have far to go to work on it.LOL I'll just be so glad when I can move in.
    Old 07-28-2010, 03:49 AM

to help get rid of the smoke,use a mist bottle with vinegar water, As far as the window unit and gas heater goes. I grew up with these and my DM was a quilter and I still use some quilts of hers that were made in the 40s.
    Old 07-28-2010, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by jolo
    to help get rid of the smoke,use a mist bottle with vinegar water, As far as the window unit and gas heater goes. I grew up with these and my DM was a quilter and I still use some quilts of hers that were made in the 40s.
    Thank you, I do have some bowls of vinegar setting around. I believe it has helped. I am using vinegar and water to clean the nicotine off the walls.It's working pretty good.