Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Sewing Room >
  • Sewing Room

• Sewing Room

Old 07-28-2010, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by ksea
    Originally Posted by CAKELSEY
    I need to ask a couple of questions. I've just bought the small house next door to me to hopefully turn into my sewing craft house. The house was built in 1940, has no central heat or air. My first question is this... will having window air conditioners affect my fabric, sewing machine and serger? Will having an old Deerborn gas heater affect them? Also when I hopefully get organized I had planned on putting vinyl or a clear shower curtain liner on the front of my bookcases to keep the dust off my fabric. Would this be okay? I would appreciate any advice you ladies could give me. Thank you Carol
    Lucky Lucky you!!! I think all of us are really jealous, even if it is a lot of work to clean up. I can only imagine what i would do with a whole house. Hug and kiss that hubby of yours, he's a real keeper!!
    Yes he is a keeper!! and not much he can not do or fix.

Hubby working on rotten wooden windows
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]69528[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-69523.jpe  
    Old 07-28-2010, 08:22 AM

You are so right. Are you going to rip it out or try to clean it? That area would hold some nice storage shelves.
    I have just seen the picture of the house. That is going to be so cute as a Craft House. Are you going to have any gingerbread trim at the eves?
    With that kind of help it can't help but turn out great!
    Old 07-28-2010, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Debra Mc
    I need to ask a couple of questions. I've just bought the small house next door to me to hopefully turn into my sewing craft house. The house was built in 1940, has no central heat or air. My first question is this... will having window air conditioners affect my fabric, sewing machine and serger? Will having an old Deerborn gas heater affect them? Also when I hopefully get organized I had planned on putting vinyl or a clear shower curtain liner on the front of my bookcases to keep the dust off my fabric. Would this be okay? I would appreciate any advice you ladies could give me. Thank you Carol
    You need to make sure the heater is clean & blown out before you start it up. Sometimes they burn off soot & you don't know it till the ceiling is stained & guess what, probably your fabrics if they are exposed. I have a window unit in my bldg. No problems ,just keep filter clean.
    Thanks, I told my husband he needs to clean it up REAL good for me.
    Old 07-28-2010, 08:31 AM

[quote=Ramona Byrd]
    Originally Posted by Joyce
    Anna, have you tried a good sponge mop with a scrubber edge on it.
    ================
    Try the Flylady products. I've found they do a marvelous
    job, and my less than agile 76 year old hands can clean
    nicely now with them. And some of them come with expandable
    handles.
    Thanks Ramona, I'll have to check out the Flylady. I need all the help I can get too. And yes, at least we don't have to worry about renters in that house any more. It is just too close to have people you don't know back there.
    Old 07-28-2010, 08:32 AM

I want to thank you all for your advice. I knew you all would come through for me. If you could see this place you would not be jealous. It is a lot of work. It had been used for a rent house for the last 7 years. The last one was a heavy smoker so I'm scrubbing walls and ceilings to paint....not a spot in the kitchen without a grease spot. If I can pull this off I will post pictures but it will take time. I've been scrubbing for nearly a month now. Hard on the old arms and shoulders. Thanks again
    oh would love to see some "befor and after"!!!
    Old 07-28-2010, 08:41 AM

DH and I used TSP to remove wallpaper the was pasted on without prepping the wall first. It was impossible to remove the wallpaper until the guy in Lowes told us to use TSP. That stuff is GREAT and will clean anything.

I also used it to clean the painted kitchen cabinets before re-painting (can't afford new) and again the stuff worked great.

My only advice and it's IMPORTANT, USE RUBBER GLOVES WHEN WORKING WITH TSP. That stuff can be really nasty on your skin. Since it's nasty on the skin I worried about it being nasty in my lungs so I made sure ALL THE WINDOWS WERE OPEN. Maybe I was too extreme, but better safe than sorry.

Another tip: When washing those disgusting walls (how could anyone live like that? and OMG the tub???? OMG) resist the urge to get up on the ladder and work your way down. The yucky water drips down the wall and makes more of a mess with streaks of dirt that are hard to remove. Start at the bottom and work your way up! Try it, you'll see it's easier.

Good luck. Can't wait to see the finished pics.
    Old 07-28-2010, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Joyce
    You are so right. Are you going to rip it out or try to clean it? That area would hold some nice storage shelves.
    I have just seen the picture of the house. That is going to be so cute as a Craft House. Are you going to have any gingerbread trim at the eves?
    With that kind of help it can't help but turn out great!
    First I'm going to see if my husband can clean it....when he gets time. LOL He still works full time too. He is planning on painting the outside of the house but that is probably all. I just wish it was done. You know how it is when you want it done now.
    Old 07-28-2010, 08:44 AM

That nicatine stains look like my great aunt's house. Found a cute little alarm clock & thought it was cream or offwhite. Was just stained from smoke. That siding can be painted. It is also probably asbestis so don't even think about removing it cause it will cost a fortune. I think you can probably assume the property in to your lot. That is what we did but the other house was gone. The way to get around it is to have a connecting covered walk way from your house to the other house. My sister built a seperate garage from her house & if she hadn't had a connected roof it was gonna be charged out as a seperate dwelling. Check into it. Wish I still had the little house next door to me but inlaws sold it & had house moved had termites anyway. Good luck. Rough tough job ahead. Good investment at Lowes- nailgun with 4 guns in box. Does framing all the way down to the tiny staples. We really saved a lot of time & hammering when we fixed my metal bldg.
    Old 07-28-2010, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by leaha
    I want to thank you all for your advice. I knew you all would come through for me. If you could see this place you would not be jealous. It is a lot of work. It had been used for a rent house for the last 7 years. The last one was a heavy smoker so I'm scrubbing walls and ceilings to paint....not a spot in the kitchen without a grease spot. If I can pull this off I will post pictures but it will take time. I've been scrubbing for nearly a month now. Hard on the old arms and shoulders. Thanks again
    oh would love to see some "befor and after"!!!
    Hi Leaha, there are a few "befores" scattered in the thread.
    Old 07-28-2010, 08:49 AM

If you ever get the bath tub clean, polish it with car wax & it will shine & look a lot beter. Dh use to repair fiberglass tubs & that is what he used. It probably has a cast iron tub so be careful you don't cut into the finish. Will work on it too. Also if you get the 600 silcon wet sandpaper it will clean it too.