Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Sewing Room - What CAN'T you live without? >
  • Sewing Room - What CAN'T you live without?

• Sewing Room - What CAN'T you live without?

Old 07-22-2011, 07:31 AM

When I was younger I liked having everything somewhat close so I could sew all day without moving far. My sewing machine in front of me, the pressing area to my left and the cutting area to my right! Now that I'm older, I don't like everything at my elbow but need the excuse to stand up and move around to do another sewing task as it's just easier on this old bod. If I sit all day in one spot and when I need to get up there's apt to be some moaning and groaning going on. I'm also into making smaller projects now (wall hangings, bed runners, etc) so have no need for larger work areas....which is somewhat nice. Having some good smooth jazz CDs to listen to while I'm sewing is a must-have!
    Old 07-22-2011, 07:42 AM

Believe it or not a must for me is access to a tv - not that I really watch it but somehow having it on keeps me company, especially when I am in the house alone - my sewing room is in the basement and I seem to always hear "strange" noises (maybe a little paranoia :-)) good luck with your room design
    Old 07-22-2011, 08:03 AM

All the previous suggestions were great! I have a friend that has a bulleting board to tack on project ideas and all those free patterns we seem to accumulate from the web. She also has a pegboard that covers a large area right in her area where she cuts. It hold all her rulers, gadgets, scissors, etc. No more going thru drawers looking for that special pair of scissors!

The pegboad is on my husbands honey do list!

P.S. I also just turned our basement into my sewing studio! One corner has a TV and two recliner chairs and the rest is my studio! Since the basement is so removed from the rest of the house, it's nice to have a place for my husband to come down and hang out with me and it gives him a place to sit and relax.
    Old 07-22-2011, 08:07 AM

I think a large table for cutting that's big enough that you can do your layering of the quilt I just can't get down on the floor anymore to pin it together. Every thing should be the right height so your back doesn't hurt.
    Old 07-22-2011, 08:07 AM

Great lighting and lots of plugs are things I wouldn't think initially.
    Old 07-22-2011, 08:12 AM

My son took 2 kitchen cabinets with drawers, laid a door over them (after we padded the door and covered with muslin) and attached the door to the cabinets with angle braces underneath. It is wonderful. I iron on it, pin elements on it to keep them in place temporarily, fuse on it using a nonstick pad underneath -I use it for almost everything. I really like the fact that it is the right height for standing there and doing stuff -

I honestly don't know how I was productive without it in the past. Has made sewing everything so much easier (sewing for grandchildren, quilting - all of it!)
    Old 07-22-2011, 08:27 AM

I freeze in the winter in my sewing room (basement) so I have a dedicated outlet for the floor heater only. Cutting table and my newest wish is someplace to put my rulers and cutting boards when not in use.
    Old 07-22-2011, 08:30 AM

have enough room to walk around your cutting table if possible and I really think shelves or book cases work best to keep fabric sorted (like an lqs)
    Old 07-22-2011, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by miholmes
    Good Afternoon,

In September we are beginning our basement remodel. So the entire LARGE room (half of the house) will be broken into a TV / Computer room, and the other half will be my sewing studio.

I'm excited to have a new space that isn't concrete walls and floor. But am just looking for suggestions for things you just feel you HAVE to have to make your sewing space work for you.

The standard machine and notions goes without saying. But what gadgets, storage options, or other suggestions would you have?

My big change will be having a dedicated outlet for my iron...woohoo! But anything else you can suggested while I'm in the planning stages would be helpful. :)
    A cutting table at the correct hight.
    Old 07-22-2011, 08:52 AM

The largest table you can fit in would be beneficial. It will be available for a miriad of uses.