Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Sewing Room - What CAN'T you live without? >
  • Sewing Room - What CAN'T you live without?

• Sewing Room - What CAN'T you live without?

Old 07-22-2011, 10:36 AM
    Power Poster

Since we have downsized from a 3-bedroom house to a 2 bedroom apt., the things I miss most are having space right next to my sewing machine for my ironing board, but I would have liked one with a larger area for ironing fabric. Next is my pegboard for hanging quilting tools and rulers so that they are readily accessible. Storage goes without question, as well as a large table/work area for cutting, as well as an area large enough to hold a quilt while quilting. Since I can't get a larger sewing room, I guess I'll just have to live vicariously through yours. Please share when you finish.
    Old 07-22-2011, 10:48 AM

Make sure you have good lighting! Try a track lighting system with halogen lights. They use lots less electricity and give wonderful light! Raise your outlets to waist height and have lots of them, as someone else here has said. You can never have too many of them. I, too, have a high work surface; it surely helps the back. Good luck on your construction. Happy quilting.
    Old 07-22-2011, 10:51 AM

Storage, Storage, Storage

Bookshelves of all heights to hold plastic bin's/baskets of fabric, patterns and other supplies,
    and/or cubbie storage, large cutting table at a higher height (I use a large butcher block type kitchen island), sewing tables that form an 'L" to support heavy quilt while machine quilting, good lighting that is "cool" not warm, lots of outlets for everything including music or books on tape, flooring that can be easily swept free of all those pesky threads ( I prefer no carpet), rods and hardware to display finished quilts, design wall for works in process, different stations for different tasks (cutting, sewing, embrodiary, planning, layout, etc.) Good Luck, setting up a room can really be fun and often times evolves as needs arise. Don't be afraid to live/sew with your room for awhile you will discover those things that you really need and those that aren't as important to you.
    Old 07-22-2011, 10:59 AM

Lots of light. The older you get the more light you need.
    Old 07-22-2011, 11:03 AM

After reading what everyone said I wish I had a larger room so I could add some of these things. I am just glad I have somewhere that I can set up my sewing machine and not have to put it away at the end of the day, unless we have company as the room also serves as a guest room. I would go for it and add anything that you would possibly ever use - now's your chance.
    Old 07-22-2011, 11:04 AM

A good counter height cutting and work table, good uniform lighting. A really sweet addition that doesn't cost the world is a built-in ironing board that fits between the studs and folds up when not in use. They're available at your local Lowe's or Home Depot and cut down on the clutter factor. Ample storage.
    Old 07-22-2011, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by miholmes
    Good Afternoon,

In September we are beginning our basement remodel. So the entire LARGE room (half of the house) will be broken into a TV / Computer room, and the other half will be my sewing studio.

I'm excited to have a new space that isn't concrete walls and floor. But am just looking for suggestions for things you just feel you HAVE to have to make your sewing space work for you.

The standard machine and notions goes without saying. But what gadgets, storage options, or other suggestions would you have?

My big change will be having a dedicated outlet for my iron...woohoo! But anything else you can suggested while I'm in the planning stages would be helpful. :)
    I'm sure you know what sewing stuff you like to work with, so I'm going to say TV and dvd player. And a decent stereo system for when there's nothing on. Also, I like a cork board and chalk or white board.
    Old 07-22-2011, 12:10 PM

Don't forget a computer!
    Old 07-22-2011, 12:26 PM

have your ironing board made so you can fold it up to the wall when not in use.
    Old 07-22-2011, 12:43 PM

Slots cut in the counter top for scraps and snippets to go to.

now, this is a great idea!!!