Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Sewing Room - What CAN'T you live without? >
  • Sewing Room - What CAN'T you live without?

• Sewing Room - What CAN'T you live without?

Old 07-21-2011, 12:19 PM
    Power Poster

I thought I'd be happy with a 8 x 4 design wall. That didn't work at all. I now have a 8 x 8 design wall and it's much better. A dedicated ironing space, a dedicated cutting space, a dedicated sewing space, at least four outlets on each wall. DH had a bigger breaker box installed so I could power everything at one time. Room enough for two six ft folding tables to be set up side by side is the most important thing for me. Just like MYWR has. I like the way she has the skirt around it to make it look custom and not just two tables sitting there with clutter underneath. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
    Old 07-21-2011, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by MYWR
    DH made me a table in the middle of my office/sewing room which is up on sawhorses and is about 40" high - I have hard wood floors and got a put-together play mat (8 pieces) at SAMs for anti-fatigue to stand on when I am cutting or measuirng or ironing something large. The table is two 6 foot cheap tables put together so the area is nice and large. I put a skirt around it to the floor (took about 7.5 yards - so I have sotrage underneath - I wouldn't trade this for anything !!
    That table is nice! (No fair, I only have room for one!) I added PVC piping to the legs so it stands waste high to me.
    Old 07-21-2011, 12:29 PM

I have to agree with the big design wall, good lightning
    and a walk around table sewing area, for cutting and laying out the quilts,,,
    Old 07-21-2011, 12:31 PM

A place to hang my Ipad for my music, my movies, my Quilting Board, my Youtube, right over my sewing area, and my cell phone next to it. A padded ironing board the same size as my cutting table on hinges to drop it down back.
    Old 07-21-2011, 12:32 PM

A place to hang my Ipad for my music, my movies, my Quilting Board, my Youtube, right over my sewing area, and my cell phone next to it. A padded ironing board the same size as my cutting table on hinges to drop it down back.
    Old 07-21-2011, 12:39 PM

I love my 2 tables placed together also. They are up on risers and I put a skirt around it so I could store stuff underneath and not be seen. I do have a large ironing board at one end of the tables and I do have to remove it once in a while when I need the whole table to work on. I do have a lot of outlets and they are waist high.
    Old 07-21-2011, 12:46 PM

Lots of light, large cutting area and dedicated ironing area right next to the machine. Have fun designing.
    Old 07-21-2011, 12:53 PM

A nice comfy chair :) I sew on the coffee table and sit on the couch lol some days my back and butt would really appreciate a nice office chair or something.
    Old 07-21-2011, 01:06 PM

Great Lighting . I have mine lit up brighter than daylight( it is in the basement) . But put some on different switches so not all have to be on if not needed.
    Lots of outlets- you may have your room configured a certain way now , but give yourself future flexibilty.
    I would encourage you to have storage cabinets with doors, any light will fade fabric , it does not have to be direct sunlight.
    A big cork board for holding directions , a few unfinished blocks, flyers, business cards, and photos of inspirational quilts or future idea.
    I had cable TV put in ... a great feature .. now if there is a program I want to watch , I do not have to leave to room.

Just one other note : I wish I had put in a handsink... at least nearby...for washing may hands and filling the iron, testing for fabric running etc. This flaw in my plan will be corrected .. someday. I just wish I had done it when the space was being finished.
    Old 07-21-2011, 01:17 PM

Our sewing group meets/sews together every couple of weeks at one of the gal's home. She is a retired home- ec teacher. She recently moved into her disabled sister's house to take care of her. She added a HUGE sewing room onto the back of the house. She has a sewing station for each of her 7 machines, book/display shelves for quilt books and antique sewing machines, tons of windows for natural light plus French doors leading out to a covered deck, air conditioning in addition to the remote controlled ceiling fans (it gets way hot here in the summer), pot lights installed in the 12 ft. ceiling over each station (with the ability to have individual, plug in lights on the sewing surfaces), an ironing station (not just an ironing board), a cutting station (an 8 ft. table affixed with cutting mats), outlets galore (even in the floor), she is "vertically challenged" (read: short, LOL), so she has a rather large area in the middle of all this as her design floor instead of design wall, and a separate room, not closet, a room, for just her stash and thread. This stash room has to be 25 feet long and it's easily 10 feet deep, with shelves and shelves of fabric set up in the same fashion as a library. She's been collecting since she was a girl...she just turned 76 last month. The only thing that she DOESN'T have, is a longarm. If I could have the perfect sewing room, I'd have that one, with additional space for my LA. We're sewing there again on Saturday, I'll try to remember to take my camera along and get some pics to share.