Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Sewing Rooms - Smart Ideas >
  • Sewing Rooms - Smart Ideas

• Sewing Rooms - Smart Ideas

Old 09-01-2010, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by peppermint31
    Instead of buying that expensive tray to tip the sewing machine towards oneself to avoid neck strain, I just got two rubber door stoppers to tilt it towards me!!!! :D
    GREAT IDEA Thanks for the tip
    Old 09-01-2010, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Miss Patsy Jane
    By the way 12X20 isn't small!!!! Small is like my little bedroom that my 2 boys shared growing up that is about 11X11 and I have made it into my sewing room. No offense intended!

Originally Posted by Caroltee
    I have a small room that is my sewing room.. I have a small 12x20 building that was my beauty shop /guest house that I converted into my quilting studio/ sewing/ hide-a-away from the world. With my laptop PC I can go any where and stay in touch. Sending more pic of storage ideas.
    My 12x 20 room is a detached shop that I converted to a quilting shop... My sewing room is about 11x12 in my home that I converted extra bed room into
    Old 09-01-2010, 02:11 PM

Would like to add my idea of a way to store the rulers used with a rotary cutter. I bought 2 wooden letter holders at Walmart (also at Office Depot) and just place my rulers in the slots. These sit at the end of my cutting table, and thus are always handy.
    Old 09-01-2010, 02:20 PM

That's a great idea Jeri, and very handy. :-D
    Old 09-01-2010, 02:26 PM

I am cleaning and rearranging my sewing area. I live in my husbands child hood home. His Mother built floor to ceiling shelves.Up to now I had all fabric in crates but am getting organized and getting all cotton fabric on those shelves. Now I have to find a place for 3 knitting machines and yarn. I Have filled 3 rooms in the past 8 years. Will still have 3 rooms-but will be organized. Karen Sue
    Old 09-01-2010, 02:34 PM

Door stoppers to raise the sewing machine. Genious.
    Old 09-01-2010, 03:27 PM

I love your idea and I hope they do add this new section. I would read it all the time. I am always reading "tips" and looking for new, better, easier ways to do things, store things, etc.
    Old 09-01-2010, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Miss Patsy Jane
    Okay, I want to ask a stupid question, I guess, is your fabric already folded selvedge to selvedge when you start folding it on your 6 inch ruler?

I use my 6" wide ruler to fold my fabric. It's just like using the cardboard bolts at the fabric stores. But after I fold it, I pull out my ruler and then fold them in half the other way. Two rows fit perfectly in each shelf. I also just love looking at my wall of color.
    Let's see if I can make this clearer. Yes, the fabric is folded selvage to selvage. The ruler I use is 6 inches wide by 24 inches long. So if I lay my ruler so the length ~ 24" ~ is from fold to selvages, then I start folding it 6 inches at a time, like when you get it on the bolt, and fold it all the way to the end. Then I slip my ruler out and fold the whole thing in half, folded side to selvage side. If you'd like I can try and take pictures.
    Old 09-01-2010, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by miholmes
    I was kinda looking for a spot on here were we could post our ideas for sewing/quilt room storage / organization / functionality.

For example - When I purchased a bolt or warm and natural I posted here about ideas for storing it. I got a GREAT tip to buy 2 closet rod hangers and a piece of PVC pipe to put through the bolt.
    It has been WONDERFUL and it was an easy and inexpensive tip.

While I really admire the people who have a lovely cabinet laden sewing room with storage and art on the walls and everything has it's place....I'm not there yet, and let's face it....we spend a lot of money on our quilting hobby (machines - FABRIC - notions - FABRIC - thread - FABRIC - more FABRIC)

So I was wondering if people would even use a section like this? If there was interest perhaps we could ask for a section, or just add to this thread. I think we all can profit from finding easily accessible - inexpensive - time saving ideas.

And why reinvent the wheel when someone else out there may have already found a solution you never considered? :)
    I would love that!!!
    Old 09-01-2010, 06:04 PM
    Bev

Originally Posted by Caroltee
    Originally Posted by Bev
    [quote/] Then to keep them free of dust I got some light weight clear vinyl and 2 tension rods and used white duck tape to make a casing and now I can see what I have. I will try to post pic?
    I love your idea with the clear vinyl. tell me how you worked the duct tape so that the sticky side of it didn't stick onto your vinyl. It looks like you gathered it ... but how?

8-)
    Bev
    I cut the vinyl the length that I needed and laid it out on a flat surface folded down at the top enough for rod to fit through about 2in and then taped across the fold catching half of the fold and half of the curtain. The gathering comes when you sheer it on the rod.. WMart has this vinyl for .99 a yd[/quote]
    Thanks for the idea, the how-to, and the info about the vinyl at WalMart. It's all great!

8-)