• Main
  • Sewing Rooms - Smart Ideas >
  • Sewing Rooms - Smart Ideas

• Sewing Rooms - Smart Ideas

Old 09-01-2010, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Bev
    Originally Posted by Caroltee
    Originally Posted by Bev
    [quote/] Then to keep them free of dust I got some light weight clear vinyl and 2 tension rods and used white duck tape to make a casing and now I can see what I have. I will try to post pic?
    I love your idea with the clear vinyl. tell me how you worked the duct tape so that the sticky side of it didn't stick onto your vinyl. It looks like you gathered it ... but how?

8-)
    Bev

Your welcome Good luck

I cut the vinyl the length that I needed and laid it out on a flat surface folded down at the top enough for rod to fit through about 2in and then taped across the fold catching half of the fold and half of the curtain. The gathering comes when you sheer it on the rod.. WMart has this vinyl for .99 a yd
    Thanks for the idea, the how-to, and the info about the vinyl at WalMart. It's all great!

8-)[/quote]
    Old 09-01-2010, 06:54 PM
    Dee

Great idea. I love it. I'll learn some pointers.
    Old 09-01-2010, 09:14 PM

I would really like to see pictures! I'm sorry I'm so dense, but my question of selvedge to selvedge, could be taken 2 ways...either lengthwise or crosswise! So if it isn't too much trouble, please show pictures. The man I used to work for told me one time he was a "visual person" that he had to see things done, maybe I'm that way too!

Originally Posted by barbgooch
    Originally Posted by Miss Patsy Jane
    Okay, I want to ask a stupid question, I guess, is your fabric already folded selvedge to selvedge when you start folding it on your 6 inch ruler?

I use my 6" wide ruler to fold my fabric. It's just like using the cardboard bolts at the fabric stores. But after I fold it, I pull out my ruler and then fold them in half the other way. Two rows fit perfectly in each shelf. I also just love looking at my wall of color.
    Let's see if I can make this clearer. Yes, the fabric is folded selvage to selvage. The ruler I use is 6 inches wide by 24 inches long. So if I lay my ruler so the length ~ 24" ~ is from fold to selvages, then I start folding it 6 inches at a time, like when you get it on the bolt, and fold it all the way to the end. Then I slip my ruler out and fold the whole thing in half, folded side to selvage side. If you'd like I can try and take pictures.
    :(
    Old 09-01-2010, 10:45 PM
    Banned

Great idea, God bless.
    Old 09-01-2010, 11:29 PM

Miss Patsy Jane

OK Let me see if I can clear this for you... when you buy your fabric it is already folded salvage to salvage on the bolt...If you have 2 yards of fabric you lay that out without unfolding the salvages. Take the fabric and fold it over again… you now have 2yards folded in to 4ths. In other words take the 44 inch with of the fabric and fold it into 4th. Now you should have 2yards of 44inch wire fabric folded length ways which should measure about 11inches. Lay your ruler across the 11in with of fabric and start rolling. When you finish rolling you should have a fold of fabric 11inches wide by the bulk of your 2yard length.
    Old 09-02-2010, 01:38 AM

Kudos to Michael for your great suggestion on the virtual section! I do not have a dedicated sewing room, not even a corner! Sharing the study room with my two daughters where I have my machine, fabrics, notions etc lying around. Hope to get some useful pointers!
    Old 09-02-2010, 05:12 AM

Thank you, Carol, that's clearer now!

Originally Posted by Caroltee
    Miss Patsy Jane

OK Let me see if I can clear this for you... when you buy your fabric it is already folded salvage to salvage on the bolt...If you have 2 yards of fabric you lay that out without unfolding the salvages. Take the fabric and fold it over again… you now have 2yards folded in to 4ths. In other words take the 44 inch with of the fabric and fold it into 4th. Now you should have 2yards of 44inch wire fabric folded length ways which should measure about 11inches. Lay your ruler across the 11in with of fabric and start rolling. When you finish rolling you should have a fold of fabric 11inches wide by the bulk of your 2yard length.
    Old 09-02-2010, 06:08 AM

Fabric folding tutorials:

http://turningturning.com/tutorial-folding-fabric/

http://3punkmom.blogspot.com/2010/06...ld-fabric.html
    Old 09-02-2010, 06:36 AM

My daughter is putting in a sewing section to my computer room. The counter top is being delivered on 9/9 to fit onto two bathroom cabinets purchased at a local building mart. I will have two cabinets for material and two shelves for supplies...I am super excited ! If I can figure out how to post a picture, I will post one when it is finished. Anyone need two sinks?
    Old 09-02-2010, 06:36 AM

My daughter is putting in a sewing section to my computer room. The counter top is being delivered on 9/9 to fit onto two bathroom cabinets purchased at a local building mart. I will have two cabinets for material and two shelves for supplies...I am super excited ! If I can figure out how to post a picture, I will post one when it is finished. Anyone need two sinks? Sorry, didnt mean to post this twice.............I am better at sewing than computer stuff...