Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Shakespeare in the Park- I'm already sick of it! >
  • Shakespeare in the Park- I'm already sick of it!

• Shakespeare in the Park- I'm already sick of it!

Old 08-16-2017, 06:57 AM
    Power Poster

I have started several of her quilts but got no further then one or two blocks before I said enough. Judy Martin has beautiful quilt patterns but her method is too tedious for me. She says it is for accuracy but I get accuracy with other patterns using the faster methods. She is also about no fabric waste which is not my main priority when making a quilt.
    Old 08-16-2017, 07:34 AM

I have a pattern and that's exactly why I haven't started it. And I'm afraid my color choices may not turn out right (if I don't do them the way the pattern is).
    Old 08-16-2017, 08:17 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by tallchick
    I'm so sorry you're already frustrated, but don't give up yet!! You'll be happy in the end and it will be worth the effort. Are you following from the original pattern? I did, and I think many of the pieces could have been strip pieced and streamlined to make for more efficient cutting. I made notes in the book for future reference so that I'm able to make it again without all the fatigue and endless cutting. It would be great if some of the classic quilt patterns could be re-written to incorporate today's cutting and piecing methods. I have not quilted the top yet, but hopefully by the end of the year I'm able to get it on my longarm to complete.
    Yes, I'm following the original pattern and I have a feeling there is an easier way but I don't know how to do it
    I just couldn't figure out those big triangles via rotary cutting so I used the templates instead just for those. The rest is rotary cut. I was terrible in geometry (my worst subject) and every now and then it trips me up.
    No wait, organic chemistry was even harder lol
    Old 08-16-2017, 08:33 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Doggramma
    I have a pattern and that's exactly why I haven't started it. And I'm afraid my color choices may not turn out right (if I don't do them the way the pattern is).
    Doggramma- you could always do one block and see how you like it. I love your dog- he/she looks like he is smiling!! Too cute.
    Old 08-16-2017, 08:39 AM
    Power Poster

I was thinking "Snail Trails by the Starry Night". Not sure how they came up with the Shakespeare in the Park but i'm going to hold off on that one for a while.
    Originally Posted by Sewnoma
    I haven't heard of this pattern so I had to look - it's a nice pattern and looks like a LOT of work! But I have to wonder how it got its name. I probably would have called it something super cool like "Stars and Snails" LOL

I bet it's going to be amazing when you're done, though! It looks like a great pattern to do a little"scrappy".
    Old 08-16-2017, 08:44 AM
    Power Poster

I have done that more than once. Now, I try to remind myself to make a test block to see if I am going to like the thing. I hope that you can push through.
    Old 08-16-2017, 08:48 AM

Here's another version done in 30's.

I agree that Judy Martin's method is difficult. I much prefer as much strip piecing and 'mass rotary cutting' as possible; do not like template piecing.

Hang in there!!!
    Old 08-16-2017, 08:51 AM

have a pattern and that's exactly why I haven't started it. And I'm afraid my color choices may not turn out right (if I don't do them the way the pattern is).

Try Googling the pattern and look at all the varieties and variations. Hopefully it will inspire you to make the quilt in your color choices.
    Old 08-16-2017, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone
    I have started several of her quilts but got no further then one or two blocks before I said enough. Judy Martin has beautiful quilt patterns but her method is too tedious for me. She says it is for accuracy but I get accuracy with other patterns using the faster methods. She is also about no fabric waste which is not my main priority when making a quilt.

Agreed!!! ((for some reason this site will not let me post a short message/reply, so I'm adding some completely unnecessary text in my reply))

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 09-16-2018 at 02:51 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
    Old 08-16-2017, 11:48 AM
    Power Poster

Jane, that's a cute interpretation with 30's fabrics.

I'm on my second day of cutting, mostly strips then sub cut etc. And I don't see an end in sight yet. Geesh!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 09-16-2018 at 02:51 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps