• Main
  • Sharing My Latest Stupid Move >
  • Sharing My Latest Stupid Move

• Sharing My Latest Stupid Move

Old 03-16-2010, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by JanetM
    Thunderous applause...can you hear it?
    We've all had those moments I think :lol: :lol: :lol:
    thank you Miss Janet, my thoughts exactly...
    Old 03-16-2010, 05:43 AM

If you could see the stack of scratch paper I have right now trying to figure out the math........clapping, clapping, clapping! :D
    Old 03-16-2010, 05:53 AM
    Power Poster

Clapping and saying that I've always been told that if you aren't screwing something up, it means you just aren't doing anything!! A motto I seem to live by!
    Old 03-16-2010, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by weezie
    This is not a question ... mainly I'm just whining.

Because I don't get much time to quilt and only make large quilts, it takes me forever and a day to complete one. I'm almost finished a king sized quilt top which I will photograph and share with you in a few days (hopefully). Right now, I'm sharing my latest goof-up, as follows:

I've always bought large pieces of fabric (leaving room for the inevitable errors), but I have been sewing for decades and thought I had graduated to buying/using die-cut pieces. I bought a selection of lovely 2-1/2" wide batiks (Hoffman Bali Pops) for my first attempt at a French Braid quilt. I also bought the trims, accents, border, backing, instruction book, and lots of neutral 2-1/2" strips for the light areas of the FB ... a total outlay of a lot of cash, for a cheapskate like me.

This past Saturday, I got the urge to get started cutting and putting the strips on the design wall. The interesting thing is that apparently I cannot count or do simple mathematics at this late stage of my life. I have only 1/3 of the batik strips that I need, so I had to go find them on-line (that particular collection is mostly sold out ... forever), but I lucked out, found in stock the 4 more sets I need, and they are ordered and in transit as I type this. So, maybe I'll get the quilt made after all.

Sometimes I wonder if my hobby should be playing with Tinker Toys or Lego blocks instead of something as tricky as making quilts. Making quilts should get easier after the first dozen or more, but sometimes I think I'm making no progress at all.

So, all of you out there who believe dummies (like me) should keep on quilting, please clap your hands!
    I think it's the "SEASON"....you are not a dummy and neither am I but I'm finding after all this time my seam ripper and I have a very up close and personal relationship. The last top I worked on I spent most of my time sewing, ripping out, sewing and ripping out. Just keep trying and don't put yourself down. Quilting isn't an exacting science and as someone on the board has as a quote under their avatar "there are no mistakes, only opportunities for more creativity" ...not an exact quote but close. Keep smiling, keep plugging and :thumbup: for all your efforts. Clapping for you!!!
    Old 03-16-2010, 07:32 AM

They say "errors" are the best teachers. Boy, am I still learning :oops: :oops:
    Never give up (clap, clap, clap, clap) :!: :!:
    Old 03-16-2010, 07:37 AM

I can relate----My method of quilting is more a case of, "let's get started right now and figure it out as we go". For that reason, more than once I have come up "short" of the fabric needed to complete said quilt. I am so thankful for the internet to find my fabric and usually resolve my problem.

(I am beginning to buy "extra" fabric for just such ocassions. :mrgreen: )
    Old 03-16-2010, 08:08 AM

as long as you can laugh and let us giggle too we're all in good shape
    Old 03-16-2010, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Joan
    I can relate----My method of quilting is more a case of, "let's get started right now and figure it out as we go". For that reason, more than once I have come up "short" of the fabric needed to complete said quilt. I am so thankful for the internet to find my fabric and usually resolve my problem.

(I am beginning to buy "extra" fabric for just such ocassions. :mrgreen: )
    Oh my! What a coincidence ... your method is pretty much the same as mine most of the time. I must point out that when I use that method ("fly by the seat of my pants" - whatever that means), I am more forgiving of my errors. But when I go to great lengths to plan a quilt and great expense to buy everything I need (HA!) and I still make a hash out of it, that's when I get angry at me and call myself rude names.
    Old 03-16-2010, 11:05 AM

a friend call and asked howq my quilt was comming i told her it was finnaly finished after i took a day out to sit in a corner rock back and forth and wet my self all joking aside i am clapping my hands for you keep it up i started quilting when i was 7 yres old i am now 54 and will be 55 in 3 months it seem the dumb mistakes never end and somtimes when i get fabric i for get not all fabrick is the same with that can make a big differance i bought enough to have plenty left over only the fabric was 37 inches wide not the usual 45 of 60 inches oops not enough to finish luckly they had enough at the store it is iregulars good quility fabrick but irregular
    Old 03-16-2010, 11:31 AM

For me that is one of the hardest things about quilting - figuring the yardage needed. I tend to overbuy because of it.