Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Sharing My Latest Stupid Move >
  • Sharing My Latest Stupid Move

• Sharing My Latest Stupid Move

Old 03-17-2010, 01:01 PM

Location: From WI then Denver then Houston and now Hainesville, IL

Yippee! I don't feel so bad now!
    Last quilt I made, I was going to do 12" block of jean material and at last minute decided to do block of quarter triangles of jean and my main fabric instead....When sewed triangles together, couldn't figure out why they weren't same size as other 12" blocks in the quilt....DUUUUUUUHHHHHH!!!
    If you sew triangles together you have to use something called a "seam"! You don't just lay the triangles butted together!
    WHAT AN IDIOT!!! Who would have thought you have to ADD to the size when you have a seam in there????
    :lol: :lol: Luckily it was only quilt for myself!! :oops:
    Old 03-17-2010, 03:38 PM

Whenever I cut wrong, or decide midstream to change my design (which I have done), I just sigh and think of all the scrappy quilts I can make out of my goofups.
    Old 03-17-2010, 03:58 PM

Clap Clap!!! When I am saving fabric for a quilt (like my current king size log cabin), I usually don't save up enough, and end up scrounging around looking for some off print or color as I am trying to construct the quilt. I always underestimate how much fabric it will take, especially if I am saving fabric before I have an exact pattern. Oh well, it usually works out, and if it doesn't, I go to Plan B.....or Plan C....or D. :thumbup: ;-)
    Old 03-18-2010, 08:44 AM

Clapping for your bravery in sharing with us. Good luck, hope you have it figured out. You have just lived my nightmare as I'm new this style of cutting and quilting and terrified I'll make a bad cutting mistake and won't get my quilt to work out. Unfortunately, this is part of quilting. At least you figured it out and have the addtional fabric ordered.
    Old 03-18-2010, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by athenagwis
    tehe I did the EXACT same thing. I bought some charm packs for the first time ever, and figured out that one pack would make abut a 30x27 quilt (way too small), so I just doubled it to 60x53. Doubled size means double the charm packs right? So I bought 2 and went on my way. Started sewing and realized (ever so slowly) that doubled width and height means 4 times the number of charms .... not 2!! I needed 4 packs for the size I wanted, so now I am stuck trying to figure out how to make a good size quilt with 2 Love U charm packs because they were the last 2 in my LQS and I don't want to pay shipping to just get two more!! LOL

So you are TOTALLY not alone.

Cheers!
    Rachel
    Oh gosh, I totally just did the same thing, except with yardage, not charms. Doubled the size of the squares in a quilt so I bought double the yardage. I still don't quite know how the math works out on that but I needed 4 times the original pattern's yardage, not just double. So I paid shipping twice. :P

I can tell y'all right now, if I quilt for the rest of my life (which hopefully will be a LONG time :)) I know I will never totally "get" all the math involved. The artistic, right brained side of me is what is drawn to quilting. The left side of my brain is just roped in and struggling to hold on for the ride! :)
    Old 03-18-2010, 10:21 AM

Quilt math: I refer to it as "convoluted quilt math but it works." My husband and both of our kids majored in math and my husband is a retired high school math teacher and our daughter is now a high school math teacher. Interestingly enough though, when I do have to ask for help, he messes it up worse than I ever have. I usually get it if he'll be quiet and let me explain what's going on but he likes to tell me what's going on and where my thinking is wrong. I've learned though, once he gives me his figures, do it my way and mine will work - he's not a quilter.
    Old 03-18-2010, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by grammypatty7
    Quilt math: I refer to it as "convoluted quilt math but it works." My husband and both of our kids majored in math and my husband is a retired high school math teacher and our daughter is now a high school math teacher. Interestingly enough though, when I do have to ask for help, he messes it up worse than I ever have. I usually get it if he'll be quiet and let me explain what's going on but he likes to tell me what's going on and where my thinking is wrong. I've learned though, once he gives me his figures, do it my way and mine will work - he's not a quilter.
    You know what I think part of it might be? Quilt math has a lot of geometry (don't know if that's spelled right) in it. Most people who are good at algebra, trig, etc, aren't as strong in geometry. I struggled a lot in school with all my math classes, but geometry was much easier for me. It takes a different kind of thinking then traditional math. Of course I have no proof for this opinion, it's just a thought. :)
    Old 03-18-2010, 07:17 PM

Can you hear me clappping? Most of my MOVES are stupid.
    Old 03-18-2010, 07:25 PM
    Power Poster

I think sometimes we may not have our minds totally on what we are doing and just not thinking right. I usually need to wait a while and read directions or re-think it at a later time. That's my story and I stickin to it.
    Old 03-19-2010, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by Rachelcb80
    Originally Posted by grammypatty7
    You know what I think part of it might be? Quilt math has a lot of geometry (don't know if that's spelled right) in it. Most people who are good at algebra, trig, etc, aren't as strong in geometry. I struggled a lot in school with all my math classes, but geometry was much easier for me. It takes a different kind of thinking then traditional math. Of course I have no proof for this opinion, it's just a thought. :)
    I was never good at math and geometry was just plain over my head. I did pass the class with the then average C grade and was thrilled to do so. I assume the issue with my husband is my inability to get him to understand what I'm trying to do and he get's impatient and tells me to listen to him but we're never thinking the same thing. When I can get us both on the same page, it works wonderfully but I've learned over the years that when we both measure something, I'd better measure again because most likely, his won't be accurate. I'm more the creative brain than he is. At least now I finally know but there are times when he's a tremendous help. He's a good geometry math teacher plus all levels of math. He even started his top students in college math which was nice. It's interesting that when our daughter teaches math, my quilts are taken into her classroom to show how geometry does fit into real life. I suspect she makes geometry really work for students likeme. My poor teacher tried and was determined to make sure I passed his class and the poor man could never understand why geometry made no sense to me.