Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Sharpening vs replacing rotary cutter blades >
  • Sharpening vs replacing rotary cutter blades

• Sharpening vs replacing rotary cutter blades

Old 06-23-2010, 08:17 AM
    Power Poster

Carol Doak, the queen of paper piecing says paper will not dull a rotary blade any faster then fabric will. She uses the same blade for paper and fabric.
    Old 06-23-2010, 08:40 AM

I save my dull blades (write "dull" on them in marker) and then use them for paper and other non-fabric things.
    Old 06-23-2010, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by taiboo
    I agree, but i have to say, i bought a sharpener a month ago and used it for the first time last week...I am SHOCKED how well and new it made my blade...It gave my blade a brand new life ( I don't know how many times i would sharpen the blades), but i am sold on it and will def. save $ on purchasing new blades.

Originally Posted by bearisgray
    Originally Posted by hcarpanini
    Theres nothing like a brand new blade!
    :lol:
    What kind is it!?

I've tried 2 and neither works. Some knife sharpener people could have a nice little sideline doing this - maybe the people who sharpen electric clipper blades?
    Read somewhere that cutting aluminum foil will sharpen them. I'll try that and let you all know.

:?:
    Old 06-24-2010, 04:54 AM

I too have a sharpener. I think it works wonderful! I too like a sharp blade, but find that it does an amazing job and well worth it. When buying blades I always buy the 5 pack when it is on special too. Hancocks had them 50 % off about a month ago so stocked up then.
    Old 06-24-2010, 05:17 AM

I purchased a sharpener when they first came out years ago - and thought it was a total waste. UNTIL a friend told me that it worked best to KEEP it sharp. Now, I sharpen blades really, really often from the time I take them out of the package, and I get great mileage out of my blades. I've replaced the emery/sandpaper wheel a number of times over the years for far fewer $$ than the savings on blades.

One caveat - the sharpener will not take out nicks. If you've nicked your blade, you may as well toss it.
    Old 06-24-2010, 05:25 AM

I got a grace sharpener in Chi. and do like it..Of course it is not like having a new blade but close.. There can be no nicks in the blade ...nothing helps that:) Think the sharpener is $30.

lyn
    Old 06-24-2010, 05:29 AM

I bought a sharpener. It was a waste of good money. Have any of you heard of flipping your blade over (when your not cutting paper or poly)?? When your blade seems to be getting dull, take it out of the handle, wipe off the lint, add a tiny drop of oil, flip it over and put it back in. You can double the life of the blade that way. Saves money and a trip to the store to get a new one. Be sure to mark the blade in some way so you know you flipped it.
    I buy a package of 5 blades at a time. They are expensive. I use the plastic container they come in (once it's empty of new blades) to dispose of the old blades. The container will hold alot more than the 5 that comes in it. I haven't found a use for the dull blades, yet.
    Old 06-24-2010, 05:37 AM
    Power Poster

i try to get the most out of my blade as possible and probably do not change them as often as i should...they are so expensive...when i have to go over the cut 2 or 3 times to get it i break down and change it (and am amazed how wonderful my cuts suddenly are!) i bought a sharpener about 5 years ago, have broke down and used it a few times...when i really needed a sharper blade but could not go buy one. it does work...but to me it is HORRIBLY DANGEROUS!!! just the way you have to handle the blade it scares the crap out of me...i use paper towels to hold the blade to put it in the sharpener but you have to finagle it and...oh, i can't explain how it works, but i only use it when i have to...about 3 times in 5 years...i think they are starting to come out with ones that are not so dangerous, but for the few extra cuts you get from sharpening the blade i don't think it's worth the money. i save my (old) blades in a container for when i need to cut non-fabric items (like card stock) they may not be sharp enough for good fabric cuts any longer but they work great for paper cutting, plastic...other materials (even batting) that you would dull a good blade on. i have an (old ) cutter that i put tape around the handle so i know it is the one with the old blade to use on non-fabric cutting
    Old 06-24-2010, 05:42 AM

Nancy's Notions have a big sale and 5 Olfa rotary blades are $19.99.
    Old 06-24-2010, 06:23 AM

I too have tried the sharpners and they aren't worth it. I wait until I get a 50% coupon from Joanne's and buy new ones.Alice