Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Sharpening vs replacing rotary cutter blades >
  • Sharpening vs replacing rotary cutter blades

• Sharpening vs replacing rotary cutter blades

Old 06-24-2010, 06:23 AM

Sharpeners haven't worked for me either. I change mine when I can tell it's getting dull, just by the way it might skip a space or it takes more pressure to cut. I usually try to buy my blades in bulk on ebay. Anyone know another good place to get them???

I also have a cheaper rotary cutter with an old blade that I keep just for cutting paper.
    Old 06-24-2010, 06:44 AM

I went to the AQS show in Des Moines and bought a $29.95 blade sharpener in October (Martinelli). If the blade is dull, it works great BUT I always seem to nick the blades, then the sharpener is worthless!!! The salesman told me that ordinary blades become flat just because the steel or whatever the metal is, bends slightly and becomes flat on one side and thus forms a nick. Of course, what a coinsidence, he had blades that wouldn't do that! HA! (They do last a little longer.) Anyway, when I first got home the main rod in the sharpener was bent so e-mailed the shop I purchased it at and they sent me a whole new unit so have 2 extra sharpening "stones". Honestly I wish I had the $29.95. I too wait and get a 5 pack at JoAnn's with a 50% off coupon. :( SewinSue)
    Old 06-24-2010, 06:48 AM

I went to the AQS show in Des Moines and bought a $29.95 blade sharpener in October (Martinelli). If the blade is dull, it works great BUT I always seem to nick the blades, then the sharpener is worthless!!! The salesman told me that ordinary blades become flat just because the steel or whatever the metal is, bends slightly and becomes flat on one side and thus forms a nick. Of course, what a coincidence, he had blades that wouldn't do that! HA! (They do last a little longer.) Anyway, when I first got home the main rod in the sharpener was bent so e-mailed the shop I purchased it at and they sent me a whole new unit so have 2 extra sharpening "stones". Honestly I wish I had the $29.95. I too wait and get a 5 pack at JoAnn's with a 50% off coupon. :( SewinSue)
    Old 06-24-2010, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by taiboo
    I agree, but i have to say, i bought a sharpener a month ago and used it for the first time last week...I am SHOCKED how well and new it made my blade...It gave my blade a brand new life ( I don't know how many times i would sharpen the blades), but i am sold on it and will def. save $ on purchasing new blades.

Originally Posted by bearisgray
    Originally Posted by hcarpanini
    Theres nothing like a brand new blade!
    :lol:
    My rotary sharpener was just delivered last week. Haven't had time to try it but it's from the Grace Co. so that's a good start.
    Old 06-24-2010, 07:35 AM

http://www.lpsharp.com/

check this guy out, I've used him about 3 times and have no problem with his blades....hes good
    Old 06-24-2010, 07:56 AM

I think the tru-cut is on sale now at Nancy's NOtions. I keep one older rotary cutter just for paper. It's marked with a piece of blue painter's tape so I know which is which. I've been considering getting the tru-cut - doesn't look dangerous to use since you don't have to dissemble the blade.
    Old 06-24-2010, 08:05 AM

I finally broke down and bought the USA Sharpener (http://www.usasharpeners.com/orbital.html) at the Dallas Quilt Show. I think I paid around $30.00. It works well unless there is a nick. Like others have said, once nicked you can't save it!
    Old 06-24-2010, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by chair1253
    Nancy's Notions have a big sale and 5 Olfa rotary blades are $19.99.
    Try E-Bay. Cousin got me a 5-pk Olfa under $10.00 - Brand new!!
    Old 06-24-2010, 08:59 AM

I have a rotary sharpener that works well and makes the blades like new. It takes out nicks and also sharpens. DH bought it for me as a BD present. I had the $30 kind and it didnt work well. This one is a bit pricy but works great. It is called Quilters Cutting Edge from http://inventivecircles.com/
    Old 06-24-2010, 09:05 AM

I have been using a sharpener for a few years and I am very happy with it and haven't had to buy new blades in a long time. My friend came to sew with me and had a dull blade, I sharpened it and it was like new. Also, I have a special rotary cutter that is just for paper, as I use that quite a bit too. I got the sharpener from Connecting threads and it's the Tri-Sharp.