Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Sharpening vs replacing rotary cutter blades >
  • Sharpening vs replacing rotary cutter blades

• Sharpening vs replacing rotary cutter blades

Old 06-24-2010, 09:07 AM

Wow, Linda! I really will be looking for your response. I HATE a knicked blade forcing me to run the cutter more than once. I LOVE sharp blades so change often. It would be wonderful knowing this person.
    Originally Posted by LindaR
    Originally Posted by PuffinGin
    Recently, I put a new blade in my cutter, after having many "miles" (and a small bad/nicked area) on the old one. In a time crunch to get some written recipes out for a bridal shower, I ended up cutting recipe cards I'd printed on heavy paper stock with my rotary cutter. I know that's a dumb thing to do ... but I did it anyway. I haven't used the cutter for cutting fabric since but I don't doubt that I've dulled it. This got me to wondering how often others change his/her blades and whether you use a sharpener rather than just putting in a new blade. Don't know what a sharpener costs but even then I dislike the discard mentality and like to recycle or prolong use. Is it worth getting a sharpener? Do they do a good job?
    I have sent my dull ones into a guy, L.P. Sharpe.com and he either sharpens them or replaces them with brand X which is just as good as I have used them. I don't know if he is still in business but you need at least 5 to send to him I think..I'll google and see if he is still in business
    Old 06-24-2010, 09:27 AM
    Banned

I use a "TRI-Sharp" sharpener. I sharpen my blade before each project. Being a retired meat cutter ( yes, I'm female) I learned the care of knives from my husband. Most of the time your blade is not dull. Just the edge is curled over and the more you use it in that condition the less likely you will be able to "sharpen" it. If you are doing a big project you might have to straighten you edge sooner.
    Old 06-24-2010, 09:41 AM

ty for asking that question i was fixing to buy a sharpener, you saved me some money.
    Old 06-24-2010, 10:06 AM

I googled L.P.Sharpe.com and the only hit I got was to the post here on the QB!
    Old 06-24-2010, 11:09 AM

I have purchased about three blade sharpeners and none of them are worth the $$$, including the Truecut Rotary Blade Sharpener. Returned that thing for credit. I will not buy another sharpener. Thank you, LindaR, for this information. This is terrific, I can recycle the blades and get new ones in exchange. Have been saving blades for five years!!!

I have sent my dull ones into a guy, L.P. Sharpe.com and he either sharpens them or replaces them with brand X which is just as good as I have used them. I don't know if he is still in business but you need at least 5 to send to him I think..I'll google and see if he is still in business[/quote]
    Old 06-24-2010, 11:53 AM

I purchased the TruCut blade sharpener and I like it. My husband collects knives, looked at the ads for the sharpener and told me it should do the job. I sharpened 5 blades that I had saved to use for paper, and all but 1 now work for fabric. The bad one had a nick. Hubby says sharpen the blades often, before they get dull (just as the former butcher mentioned). I've tried the rotary ones where you put the blade on sandpaper circle and move another sandpaper disk on top. Didn't help at all.
    Old 06-24-2010, 12:27 PM

oops!
    Old 06-24-2010, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by HeatherQuilts
    Originally Posted by montanablu
    I have never found a sharpener that was worth the $ spent or the space it takes up :) And truly, there is nothing like a new blade. My fav thing is to use a 50% coupon at JoAnn's on a pkg of 5 blades - when I can find them! Too often they carry only singles. But the larger pkgs are like a treat for me.
    At some (maybe all?) You have to ask for the 5 pack, sometimes they keep them in a locked cage. (just like the Cricut cartridges)
    At my local Joann's the clerk told me they purposely do not restock the 5 pack rotary blades while there is a sale. She said you have to ask them specifically about getting some from the back!
    Old 06-24-2010, 01:34 PM

Try http://www.lpsharp.com/3.html
    Originally Posted by Kitsie
    I googled L.P.Sharpe.com and the only hit I got was to the post here on the QB!
    Old 06-24-2010, 01:48 PM

I ordered a bunch about 50 from this guy a few years ago. Still have some Jhittlesewing.com

I have one of those little blue twisty sharpeners and it seems to do ok for me to get just a few more cuts out of it.
    I save all my old blades so I know I have a bunch. I will send them to the lpsharp.com when I get some cash.