Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Sheets as a backing >
  • Sheets as a backing

• Sheets as a backing

Old 04-05-2014, 11:22 AM

I don't know about long arm quilting but my DM hand quilted using bed sheets all the time. I have some of her quilts that are old and still in great shape.
    Old 04-05-2014, 11:27 AM

I do quilt with a longarm and will use a sheet if that is what my customer brings to me.I nor my machine has a problem with using a sheet. However, that said, the higher thread count of the sheet will sometimes leave a poor looking back as the quilting stitches look as if they cut the threads of the sheet instead of finding space between threads and sinking into the batting. If a person wants to use a sheet I would recommend one that has been washed several times to soften it up as much as possible.
    Old 04-05-2014, 12:27 PM

It's how tightly woven/dense it is--not the fact that is a sheet. I have bought some duvet covers that are hard to sew on--and one I had, while beautiful to look at, was a horror to work with when FMQ. My needle kept skipping. I finally figured out it was because I bought this gorgeous fabric (in the form of a duvet cover) that was extremely tightly woven. I ended up using it anyway. I think I changed to a smaller, new needle. I don't really remember.

But anyway, I use sheets often--and almost always for the charity quilts I make. I look for all cotton sheets, but for the charity ones I may use one in very good condition that is 50/50. Why not? Its original purpose was for bedding, after all! Seems appropriate to use it for a quilting/blanket which is also bedding.
    Old 04-05-2014, 03:34 PM

I'm a sheet user too and quilt them on the longarm with no problem. I give all my quilts away so I buy good used sheets at thrift stores and new ones clearanced when I find them, so far no problem and I've been doing this almost 10 years.
    Old 04-05-2014, 03:36 PM
    Power Poster

I have a friend that uses tham all the time without any trouble.
    Old 04-05-2014, 04:26 PM

I haven't done the sheets for backing yet but might try it after reading this. Something to consider when making a charity quilt is that for most people receiving them it will be a cherished gift. If they will hold up to many launderings I would think that would be fine.
    Old 04-05-2014, 04:45 PM

I've used 100% cotton Ikea sheets for backings with absolutely no problems on my DSM. But, I can see how they may cause issues with longarmers. Since I do my own quilting, I don't worry about it.
    Old 04-05-2014, 05:12 PM
    yel

i confess i am a sheet lover as well....no problems here
    Old 04-06-2014, 04:33 AM

I have used sheets for years, cottons if I can find them with a low thread count, cotton/polyester blend if they have a good "hand" feel, flannel flats if they are on sale and decent quality fabric. I do very carefully check the used sheets. If they have been used a lot they may not wear with the quilt top. If they are pretty crisp, not faded, and seem like they were more abandoned than used I will buy and use them.
    Old 04-06-2014, 07:00 AM

Absolutely agree - sheets are great for quilts. I often buy used top sheets in yard sales and use for batting in the center for a summer quilt or a couple of layers as batting in a baby quilt (holds up well to all the many washings). Sheets make wondering backings on a quilt, and I've used in place of muslin for blocks on the front of a quilt, too. As long as the sheet is in good condition and the thread count is high enough, go for it!