Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • shhhh, estate sale tomorrow >
  • shhhh, estate sale tomorrow

• shhhh, estate sale tomorrow

Old 07-03-2009, 07:45 PM

I love looking at older machine and kick myself for not picking up an industrial machine a while back. It was in a basement and I had too much stuff in my van and didn't want to bother. And NOW, oh well I guess it just wasn't meant to be!

Good luck on the machines! Enjoy them! :lol:
    Old 07-03-2009, 10:30 PM

You have made a great score, for sure!! :D
    I am anxious to see pictures of your new
    treasure's, after you get them!!
    :D :D :D :D
    Old 07-04-2009, 02:47 AM

I couldn't see a model # on the Singer- so maybe it could be a 99. Can't wait to get them to the office (can't bring them home need to make room).

Will see if I can get the Necchi, maybe someone would want it if I get it cleaned and serviced.

I'm getting 2 chairs that I will recover the cushions. Maybe I'll take the fabric to the office and do them there. Can't wait until i pick them up at 10!
    Old 07-04-2009, 04:05 AM

Sounds like a find. I have a treadle that was my grandmothers. I even made a dress on it 40+ years ago. Don't know if it still works, but will put it in my new sewing room when we move.
    Old 07-04-2009, 04:23 AM
    Banned

lucky you. i wish i had the room to collect stuff like that.
    Old 07-04-2009, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by Barbm
    going to pick up 2 machines. 1 looks like a recent posting here for a featherweight. the belt is dry rotted and i don't like the looks of the electrical wire. can i replace the wire without affecting the value of the machine? I offered her $25. I figure if I have to put $100 into repair and cleaning, it's still worth it. It is in cabinet, which i think I would like to have refinished. Will that be OK for value?

Second machine- an industrial Singer in this metal table. lady was a seamstress in a factory. she used it to sew on all the time. i don't really need another machine, but i bought my juki to go on a frame, which i have yet to do. i can put the juki on the frame and use this to piece on. Sound good? she wants $100.

so don't tell anyone- especially her daughter- she has no clue and just wants to get rid of them. new SIL is sworn to secrecy, he's going to go help pick them up and i'll take them to my office until i can get them to the shop.

she also has an old Necchi, but I don't know anything about them. it's in a cabinet too. maybe i can get her to throw it in for free.

also getting 2 nice chairs for me to recover for my office. and- hand loomed rag rugs- holy cow- they are like 8 foot long, for your hall. i'm getting 2 brand new ones, $25 each.

i'll post pics tomorrow.
    I took my older singer in and had the cord replaced and the belt...Its no use if you can't sew with it...
    Old 07-04-2009, 05:18 AM

Wow! What fun! My husband doesn't understand why I have 2 machines. I asked him why he had 4 reloading machines. He said, for different jobs. I said, bingo!
    Old 07-04-2009, 05:25 AM

Great Score! and Definitely get the Necchi!!!! Those are workhorses!
    Old 07-04-2009, 06:08 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Barbm
    I couldn't see a model # on the Singer- so maybe it could be a 99.
    A featherweight will always have the left side of the table able to flip up. It is hinged. (There is a more rare type of featherweight in which the left side of the table can actually be removed -- it is not hinged -- but I doubt you would find this at an estate sale.) If the table is all in one piece with the rest of the machine, it is not a featherweight.
    Old 07-04-2009, 10:34 AM

ok- my loot is at the office. I took pics which I will download tomorrow. the Singer says Catalog A-400 (Ok, I should have written it down, now I think that's what it said). It has a #AF45 something, but I need to clean the plate off to see the #s.

The cabinet has the top that lifts over to the left and lays flat. The front opens up and has a knee power pedal attached inside.

Got the industrial one too, It appears to be a singer- the front plate had a AF# too. The bobbins looks like older Singer too.

I'll investigate more.

(Oh, she was so overpriced on everything else, she wanted a couple hundred for the Necchi even though she didn't know if it even worked.) I figured I did well enough and went on my way with my purchases. I don't think i was ripped off since I have to put some $ into them for repairs and service.