Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Shifting Batting and other woes... >
  • Shifting Batting and other woes...

• Shifting Batting and other woes...

Old 02-05-2015, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by minibarn
    Hi
    I have a quilt in a Grace EZ3 quilt frame (which I would never recommend because it is awful!) and am having some trouble. The quilt has 5 rows of 4 blocks per row. I have completed the quilting on two rows and as I roll the quilt am noticing the batting is starting to drift to one side, and I am afraid I will end up w/no batting on one side before I get to the end of the quilt. Also, the backing fabric is so loose on the edges that I am getting rumples in the back as I quilt the border. I am so disgusted w/this frame but I have to finish this quilt on it now unless there is any way to take it out of the frame and put it in a different one.

Any suggestions as to how to correct the batting drift and backing issues? Would it be unwise to switch to a different frame, or is that even possible?

Thanks,
    Jenna
    Jenna, I had some issues with the batting on my last quilt. That was because I had made all my layers the same size. I used some clips to hold my layers together from the take up roller all the way back to where the layers first came together. If you don't have clips, you can use pins, then remove then remove them when you roll the quilt, and adjust the batting and pin again back to where the quilt top come over to meet the backing and batting. Hope that helps.
    Old 02-06-2015, 08:37 AM

Thanks Janet and Barb. My batting is larger, but I suspect I did not put it in the frame square and that caused the current problem. And, my backing is pieced vertical so just what was described is happening...thicker in the middle, causing floppiness on the edges. One other problem/question...my quilt top is a bit curved, in other words when I look at the row of blocks it is obvious that the quilt is arching in the middle sort of a frown. Not real bad but it is noticeable. If I put something in to help w/the floppy I am afraid that frown will become more pronounced. Any thoughts? I so wish I had just taken this to a LA quilter instead of ruining it w/my shoddy work!!!

Thanks
    Jenna
    Old 02-06-2015, 09:02 AM

It's hard to say what will happen. The floppiness is hard to quilt, so I'd probably correct that and not worry about about anything else until the end.

On my frame, I sometimes take the first pole off the frame (this is the pole that the finished quilt is rolled to). If you did this you might be able to see if the quilt smiles or frowns, or just keeps a stone face.

If this is a bed quilt, I wouldn't worry about it. Just wash the quilt and admire.

If you are quilting a wall hanging or a quilt show entry, you can try blocking it after you are done with the quilting. Blocking corrects a multitude of problems, but it's kind of a pain to do, so I only do it when appearance matters.

I love that you are quilting this yourself - and I bet it looks better than you think!

Janet
    Old 02-06-2015, 09:59 AM
    Power Poster

It is a common practice to SITD around each block smoothing the top square as you go before you add any additional quilting. This stabilizes the top, and squares it up. If you have extra fullness in some blocks, you can decide on a dense quilting pattern to take up the excess.
    Are the completed rows 'frowning' also, or just the rows to be quilted? At this point, where you have already begun quilting, it's hard to say what to do. I personally would pull the ends up to make the rows square, quilt the center of the quilt and leave the borders till last. You can cut an additional piece of batting that will just go under the borders to take up any additional fullness, then use a piano key quilting pattern that allows you to ease fullness in as you go.
    I also congratulate you on quilting it yourself! It's a learning experience, and your next one will be better (it also give you an appreciation for your long armer!)
    Old 02-06-2015, 10:04 AM

Paper Princess, I understand that stitch in the ditch is recommended for machine quilting, but I've never done it for hand quilting.

Janet
    Old 02-06-2015, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by minibarn
    Thanks Janet and Barb. My batting is larger, but I suspect I did not put it in the frame square and that caused the current problem. And, my backing is pieced vertical so just what was described is happening...thicker in the middle, causing floppiness on the edges. One other problem/question...my quilt top is a bit curved, in other words when I look at the row of blocks it is obvious that the quilt is arching in the middle sort of a frown. Not real bad but it is noticeable. If I put something in to help w/the floppy I am afraid that frown will become more pronounced. Any thoughts? I so wish I had just taken this to a LA quilter instead of ruining it w/my shoddy work!!!

Thanks
    Jenna
    The Grace EZ3 quilt frame is a hand quilting frame isn't it? I would think if it is you could take the quilt out and reposition it. If the batting is showing a bias fold you could cut into it, take so out or add a piece into, then hand whip stitch it in.
    Old 02-06-2015, 11:13 AM

The frown only appears on the to be quilted blocks. Yes, the EZ3 is a hand quilting frame, and this is the biggest one I have done yet, and only the second attempt at hand quilting. I enjoy it most of the time, I just wish I had not picked this quilt to continue learning on. It is the bear paw pattern and there are lots of seam allowances that are very hard to stitch through. I also think I put more quilting in it than I should have for the size and my experience level.

Thank you all so much for the words of wisdom and encouragement. I will keeping poking away at it until it's done.

Jenna