Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Shipping a machine >
  • Shipping a machine

• Shipping a machine

Old 11-13-2010, 06:26 PM

I've shipped a small Janome, and had a couple of machines shipped to me. The smaller one was about $20, larger up to $30. Those were USPS prices, though - generally, for larger/heavier packages, you can get better pricing through UPS.

As long as you have the original packaging, I think you'd be able to get it to her for less than what a new one will cost. How kind of you to share with a friend, it's a great idea as since you said, who knows if she will end up liking sewing or not.
    Old 11-13-2010, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by peaceandjoy
    I've shipped a small Janome, and had a couple of machines shipped to me. The smaller one was about $20, larger up to $30. Those were USPS prices, though - generally, for larger/heavier packages, you can get better pricing through UPS.

As long as you have the original packaging, I think you'd be able to get it to her for less than what a new one will cost. How kind of you to share with a friend, it's a great idea as since you said, who knows if she will end up liking sewing or not.
    Thanks. I'd like to share the joy. I know she won't spend the money herself, since she's unsure if she'll stick with it, but I know she'll love it once she gets started. She just needs a push. I would much rather she use the machine, which always treated me well, than it sit unused in my closet. I know some people are down on cheap machines, but I've made some beautiful quilts (if I may say so myself) on it. It may not be as enjoyable to use as a Bernina, but it works great.
    Old 11-13-2010, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Mattee
    Originally Posted by peaceandjoy

Thanks. I'd like to share the joy. I know she won't spend the money herself, since she's unsure if she'll stick with it, but I know she'll love it once she gets started. She just needs a push. I would much rather she use the machine, which always treated me well, than it sit unused in my closet. I know some people are down on cheap machines, but I've made some beautiful quilts (if I may say so myself) on it. It may not be as enjoyable to use as a Bernina, but it works great.
    What an awesome friend. Be proud of yourself for shareing such a great gift..
    Old 11-13-2010, 07:00 PM
    BMP

[quote=Mattee]I actually have the original box and packing materials.

It should be fine, I had one shipped to me from Texas a few weeks ago and it was bubble wrapped and in a case then boxed with packing peanuts and it came fine, you have the original box and packaging so I am going to say that it shouldnt be any problem.

How nice of you to give it to her .
    Old 11-13-2010, 07:21 PM
    Power Poster

What a wonderful, thoughtful thing for you to do.
    Old 11-13-2010, 08:06 PM

Shipping costs will surprise you. UPS charges for not only the weight but if the box is not one of their standard sizes. The last time I shipped a machine (Janome 10001), it cost me over $100 with insurance. I didn't have the original box so had really packed it well but apparently the packing was heavy.
    Old 11-14-2010, 07:26 AM

I sent my bernina 153 to my daughter in Australia, by UPS. Used UPS because they packed it and were within the same ridiculous price range as the post office. She received it in perfect shape. The downside was that she still had to pay duty, but it was cheaper to her than buying one there.
    Old 11-14-2010, 07:34 AM

I had to ship my Bernina 730 and went to FedEx and it was about $36.
    Old 11-15-2010, 03:26 PM

I just shipped an embroidery machine that I sold on ebay.
    Big shock!!! Over $$80 from Massachusetts to New Mexico.