Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Shiva paintsticks >
  • Shiva paintsticks

• Shiva paintsticks

Old 11-04-2011, 04:29 PM

Default Shiva paintsticks

Has anyone tried the shiva paintsticks? I'm thinking about trying them but would like some input from someone who has worked with them. They are a little pricey but I have heard that they last a really long time. I saw a wall hanging that I would like to do that incorporates the paintsticks with the quilting.Any tips or advice would be welcome.
    Old 11-04-2011, 04:33 PM

Yes I have ,I have my grandaughters draw a picture on some white fabric with the paintstick and put it in a quilt. They are real nice to work with and do last a long time Had my for about a year and a half.
    Old 11-04-2011, 04:38 PM

Do you need to heat set them when they are done and can they be washed
    Old 11-04-2011, 04:53 PM

Yes to both. There is little waste to them. After you use them, the exposed tip hardens and keeps it from drying out.
    Old 11-04-2011, 05:38 PM

I bought mine at a show thought.... I would get all kinds of use out of them .... I played with them a bit .. but they have been sitting in a zip loc . Lots of $$$ for not so much use.
    Old 11-04-2011, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by JSNOMORE
    Has anyone tried the shiva paintsticks? I'm thinking about trying them but would like some input from someone who has worked with them. They are a little pricey but I have heard that they last a really long time. I saw a wall hanging that I would like to do that incorporates the paintsticks with the quilting.Any tips or advice would be welcome.
    I love the paintstiks!

The self sealing feature means that I can just leave them alone for months at a time, then all I have to do is peel off the sealed part and voila! they're as good as new.

I really enjoy stencilling with them. I've also done some rubbing with them but I prefer stencilling. It is almost impossible to make a mistake when stencilling with them, so it is always a success for me. With stencils, I can choose anything from the barest wisps of colour to solid blocks of colour.

I use the same brush soap used to clean the brushes to clean the stencils as well.
    Old 11-04-2011, 08:37 PM

I've wanted to try these.
    Old 11-05-2011, 02:44 AM

So far they sound like fun. I ordered a white one and a snowflake stencil. I figure its not a huge investment and I can still see if it's something I'm going to enjoy. I love to learn new techniques.
    Old 11-05-2011, 02:57 AM

Oh I just started playing with these. I LOVE them. Yes, you have to heat set them and yes thay can be washed. All I have done so far is stenciling with them. I posted a photo somewhere of what I did, I'll see if I can find it. But they are a lot of fun and I can see many possibilites with them. I only initially bought two packs of the 3 mini sticks to see if I like them before investing too much money, and I am looking at buying the whole collection. They come in two styles: matte and iridescent, I personally like the later as I like a little bling, lol, and these come in 16 or 18 shades. The matte sticks come in a lot more colors. You can always mix too to get additional colors. the sticks are self healing and supposed to last forever. Ok, I am excited about them as you can tell. I have been searching online for the best deal, it pays to shop around as I am noticing that prices do vary.

Oh, I also bought a book called Design Magic by Shelly Stokes, and it has great ideas and tips. And don't forget to do a search, there are a few helpful tutorials online.

Oh, one more thing I forgot to say, you really don't need to buy stencils, you can make your own with freezer paper, if you print or trace your deisgn on freezer paper, cut it out, press it on your fabric and paint away

And lastly, do show us what you make.

Last edited by candi; 11-05-2011 at 02:59 AM. Reason: Additional thought
    Old 11-05-2011, 03:02 AM

Ok, here is a link to the post where I posted the photos of what made with the paintsticks. Post 3745, follow the two links.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-...95413-375.html