Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Shop Hops - Yes or No? >
  • Shop Hops - Yes or No?

• Shop Hops - Yes or No?

Old 03-05-2015, 07:00 AM

I recently did a Shop hop in north east FL. I ended up going to 12 shops even though all were not on the Shop Hop. I was visiting the area and went by myself over three non-consecutive days. Probably over bought, but I tried to buy things to finish other projects. It was fun and everyone was so nice. I used my GPS and found all the shops easily. Even the shops not on the Shop Hop had specials and supported the other shops. It was neat to run into other quilters in different shops. They were always willing to give advice. It helped me learn about areas of FL other than a beach.
    I have been one Shop Hop in middle TN. I went with friends. We has a great time. I have the quilt blocks still to make, but I am using the fabric for a Dear Jane quilt too!
    Old 03-05-2015, 07:00 AM

I did row by row last year. Some of it was alone and some with a friend. It was a lot of fun and I had been to shops I'd never been to before. I bought a little here and there. I still have to make my row by row quilt and in a few months it will be starting over again for 2015. I guess I'd better get busy!
    Old 03-05-2015, 07:04 AM

Oh, yes, shop hops are fun. I have gone on a 3 day bus shop hop and had a world of fun. Our local area, out here in the middle of no where, has a hop every September, it now includes 6 shops, around a 300 mile trip, I have gone for the last 4 or 5 years, lots of fun. Each shop has a pattern & fabric for 2 or 3 blocks, that you can purchase, and each shop designs a quilt using all the blocks from all shops, you can purchase setting kits or complete the quilt as you see fit. My children (grown) all live a distance, up to 350 miles one way, and each time we go, it depends on what I am doing and am needing to finish a project, depends on how we travel. My dear hubby, also goes in with me most of the time. He is the greatest enabler. Go and have fun. Spend if you wish, or just look, fondle and enjoy your time. Life is too short.
    Old 03-05-2015, 07:07 AM

Well if you're trying to cut back on buying fabric, a shop hop is not the way to do it! LOL

I've sort of been on one - I went on a road trip last year and made up my own "hop" but it happened to coincide with the one with all the license plates, so I sort of participated in that I did go out of my way to find those plates in a few places I probably wouldn't have stopped otherwise and I had fun tracking them down and visiting the various shops. I still haven't done anything with those plates or any of the patterns, though, LOL. But I was already on a FART (fabric acquisition road trip) so it probably didn't really make me spend any more than I would have otherwise; just possibly at different places.

Now I've reached a saturation point where I don't feel an urge to buy fabric for my stash, so the "hops" aren't very appealing to me. I need to spend more time sewing so I can empty it out some and make room for more!
    Old 03-05-2015, 07:12 AM

Shops are too far apart here to make me want to cope with Atlanta traffic.
    Old 03-05-2015, 07:26 AM
    Power Poster

I've gone on a couple, and did enjoy them. A few years ago, I went with my hubby, and had fun just being with him, and enjoying the adventure. Another year, I did a few shops with a friend. Around here, it is several hundred miles, so I haven't lately. I like to buy something from each shop, see the scenery, check out the food, etc.
    Old 03-05-2015, 10:50 AM

I love shop hopping! I've been on ones in northern IN and Southern MI several times - they used to have both spring and fall hops, visiting 6-8 shops. I've also been on two bus trips from a LQS to MI, IN, & IL we had an awesome time! We've driven over 300 miles round trip in a day but there's no rule that says you can't spread it out! Each time I go I put together a list and swatches of things I'm looking for that the LQS doesn't carry because you can find so much variety in different shops. It's something I save and plan for each year and sometimes I buy a lot sometimes I don't. (I've already started saving for the Shipshewana SH in June!) The "passport fee" is usually only $5 and you get a bag (sometimes with goodies) and you get freebies at most of the shops that more than pays for the fee. Most shops in our area provide snacks of some kind but we always take a cooler with sandwiches, drinks and snacks that we can eat on the way. Shop hops aren't for everyone and it might depend on what you are expecting to get out of it. I look at it as a way (other than shopping) it's a chance to take a vacation day (or two) for myself and be around like-minded people who share my passion for fabric and quilting. That's what the fun part is really about!! Hope you have fun!
    Old 03-05-2015, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
    I don't do the shop hops in Texas, because it seems like most of the shops are in San Antonio. I'm not driving over 100 miles for 3 or 4 shops. I live near Austin, most of the shops are gone now, only 2 near me. Sharon in Texas
    I just did the Heart of Texas Shop Hop in Waco, TX. Area stores get together and rent the convention center and put up booths. This year there were a lot of stores participating from all over Texas and even a few from out of state. I love this show as it introduces me to a lot of stores and gives me an opportunity to see what kind of merchandise they carry. I live in Houston and am fortunate that I have friends in Waco that I get to visit and stay with. No, I don't get to see the actual stores and I do realize that the amount the stores can bring is limited but I have found stores that, when I am in that area of Texas, I make it a point to visit them. To do the Greater Houston Shop Hop is expensive gas-wise and time-wise. I will take the Heart of Texas show anytime!
    Old 03-05-2015, 11:47 AM

It's more fun in a group. The first time I went I felt obligated to buy, but after that, I would buy very little unless it really struck me. It's just fun to see new fabrics and tools, since each shop usually has a slightly unique clientele (if the hop is big enough) and buys accordingly (i.e. one shop may have more customers who prefer Civil War and another has more people interested in batiks or solids).
    Old 03-05-2015, 01:32 PM

no one has mentioned crowds. How long do you generally have to wait to get fabric cut for instance?
    The idea of bus loads of quilters being in a shop boggles my mind