Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Shortcuts before basics?.. 4 7/8 inch block >
  • Shortcuts before basics?.. 4 7/8 inch block

• Shortcuts before basics?.. 4 7/8 inch block

Old 10-17-2013, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE
    Some of mine are much older than 15
    ...... are you sure you are not confusing yourself and thinking 1/16" rather than 1/8"?
    Nope. They do not have the 1/8s marks. I would NEVER have posted this if they did. Back in the day, I pieced mostly by hand using plastic templates so I guess the only rulers I needed had only the basic marks. Lol. Guess I need a makeover! Lol
    Old 10-17-2013, 07:37 AM

This would be for the HST measurements, I always cut an inch larger than the completed block is supposed to be, in your case, the block should finish at 4", so I would cut the 2 fabrics 5" and square up after sewing.
    Old 10-17-2013, 07:41 AM
    Power Poster

For the HST units - I also find it to be a fabric saver - if not a time saver - to cut the squares 1 inch larger than the finished size.

I'd much rather trim off a/16 inch than be short 1/8 inch on the units.
    Old 10-17-2013, 07:42 AM

I have found that when I use the 4-7/8" measurement to make HSTs, the HSTs are always too small. So I use the 5" squares, draw the line down the center, sew and trim. A little more work, but better to trim than be too small. Plus, when you cut the squares into triangles, you are working with bias edges and can stretch your HSTs out of shape.

I've also seen a new method where you take two large squares, draw 2 diagonal lines on the lighter fabric, put the right sides together and sew 1/4" on both sides of all the lines. Then cut on the line, and you have 4 HSTs, which you will probably have to trim.

There are several rulers out there for trimming HSTs -- Eleanor Burns QIAD, June Tailor Shape Cut and the one with the groove down the middle (sorry, but the name escapes me), along with the square up rulers.
    Old 10-17-2013, 08:52 AM

Pretend you are going to teach a quilting class and your students need to make HST's. You would want them to be successful so that they have a good time. So you would probably tell them about the 7/8" rule but have them cut 1" instead and then square up.

Now you are your own student. Make it fun and go with the 1".
    Old 10-17-2013, 08:57 AM
    Power Poster

http://www.wikihow.com/Read-a-Ruler and http://www.craft-a-project.com/Ruler-Measurements.html
    Old 10-17-2013, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by AliKat
    Pretend you are going to teach a quilting class and your students need to make HST's. You would want them to be successful so that they have a good time. So you would probably tell them about the 7/8" rule but have them cut 1" instead and then square up.

Now you are your own student. Make it fun and go with the 1".
    Great idea!! (But I'm still going shopping !!👍&#128516
    Old 10-17-2013, 09:48 AM
    Power Poster

If you are using the [Finished Size HST + 7/8"] to sew the 2 HSTs in one, you may want to rethink that for a beginner. It is really important to have a PERFECT 1/4" seam using that method and after MANY years of sewing, I still have trouble getting that measurement down perfectly. I always cut mine oversize [+1] and trim down later. It is more work but gets a better result.
    Old 10-17-2013, 10:17 AM

I've taught a lot of beginners. While you want them to know that measurments are important, if you make quilting fussy and stressful because you are dealing with 1/8" the beginner will give up and not want to pursue this hobby. I learned to teach people who have never sewn before how to quilt using the Quilt In A Day log cabin. All they have to do is sew straight lines. I would cut the last log 1" larger so that we could square up the block and the blocks would all go together easily. We'd use a 5 oz bat and tie it. It's fast and the beginner gets a quilt finished with little hassle. As I learned from my years of teaching children, you need to make the first step simple and easy to do.
    Old 10-17-2013, 07:02 PM
    Banned

Draw a square and then a diagonal line. Add the 1/4 inch around the triangle. Then measure the base and show where the 7/8inch is and why you add this amount rather than the normall 1/4seam allowance. Also when you make triangles this way it is important to use the scant quarter inch otherwise the new pieces won't fit.