• Main
  • Shortcuts before basics?.. 4 7/8 inch block >
  • Shortcuts before basics?.. 4 7/8 inch block

• Shortcuts before basics?.. 4 7/8 inch block

Old 10-17-2013, 11:16 PM

My rulers have 1/8 inch increments
    Old 10-18-2013, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by Bamagal
    I'm teaching a beginner quilter- one who has never used the rotary cutter.

A basic 12 inch churn dash block direction calls for one to cut a 4 7/8 strip then subcut a 4 7/8 block ( for half square part). Same directions for any basic block with a half square. Now how the heck do you teach this when no ruler has a 7/8 inch mark??

I really hate to teach shortcuts before basics.
    Mine have 16ths even
    Old 10-18-2013, 05:43 AM

Thanks everyone!! I'm now the owner of a few rulers that show 1/8 increments!! They do make a difference!! Have to wear my glasses though! Lol. I really appreciate all the suggestions and help!!
    Old 10-18-2013, 07:04 AM

I prefer to make larger and cut down so the Quilt In A Day triangle square up ruler is a must have. It saves so much time and makes perfect HST.
    Also like to make 8 at a time. For 2 1/2 in HST use two 6 in sqs. Draw an x and sew on each side of line then cut in half both ways then on lines. Add 2 in for each size larger (8 in for 3 1/2 )
    The ruler has you cut once to square up. I did a demo at a meeting and everyone went and bought the ruler.
    Attached Thumbnails quilt-uncut-2-tri.jpg  
    Old 10-18-2013, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Bamagal
    Just checked ! I have 11 rulers. All marked with 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 inch

Yea!! I get to go shopping!! What a chore!! Lol
    Are you saying you have only quarter inch markings? 11 rulers? I don't have any that don't have eights, and most have sixteenths. Even my freebie wooden ruler from the paint store.
    Old 10-18-2013, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Pennyhal
    I've taught a lot of beginners. While you want them to know that measurments are important, if you make quilting fussy and stressful because you are dealing with 1/8" the beginner will give up and not want to pursue this hobby. I learned to teach people who have never sewn before how to quilt using the Quilt In A Day log cabin. All they have to do is sew straight lines. I would cut the last log 1" larger so that we could square up the block and the blocks would all go together easily. We'd use a 5 oz bat and tie it. It's fast and the beginner gets a quilt finished with little hassle. As I learned from my years of teaching children, you need to make the first step simple and easy to do.
    AMEN, SISTER. Recently a poster listed a bunch of Thou Shalts before even starting. Most folks would be out the door before getting to #5
    Old 10-19-2013, 03:54 AM

my quilters ruler by betty gall has only1/4 and 1/2 inchand 1 inch marking but its dated1986
    Old 10-19-2013, 03:54 AM

my quilters ruler by betty gall has only1/4 and 1/2 inch and 1 inch marking but its dated1986
    Old 10-19-2013, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by Rose Marie
    I prefer to make larger and cut down so the Quilt In A Day triangle square up ruler is a must have. It saves so much time and makes perfect HST.
    Also like to make 8 at a time. For 2 1/2 in HST use two 6 in sqs. Draw an x and sew on each side of line then cut in half both ways then on lines. Add 2 in for each size larger (8 in for 3 1/2 )
    The ruler has you cut once to square up. I did a demo at a meeting and everyone went and bought the ruler.
    I recently attended a class taught by Eleanor Burns. (Such FUN!) But when she had us making tiny squares and cutting them into two triangles and then squaring THOSE up, I wanted to give it up. Eleanor could feel the tension rising and suggested the triangle square up ruler. I bought that and it has totally changed my thoughts about triangles!! Worth the $ IMHO.
    Old 10-19-2013, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE
    I have several different brands of rulers ... all have 1/8" markings.

However, is it a shortcut when you cut a 5", and then after sewing, learn the skill of trimming to size.
    Actually, it is extra work!!!
    I learned cutting the "1/8" way but recently struggled with some intricate piecing and it not coming out right...I asked help from a women that pieces amazing quilts and has been quilting for years.....she told me don't bother cutting by the 1/8", round it up and trim when the block is completed...she says that's the way she does it and the block comes out much more accurately!