Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Should I actually use my quilts? >
  • Should I actually use my quilts?

• Should I actually use my quilts?

Old 05-27-2013, 01:59 PM

What is the point of making such beautiful works of art to hide them in cupboards, USE THEM that is what they are for IMO
    Old 05-28-2013, 03:04 PM

My quilts get used and come back for repairs. Some of the baby quilts I made are still in use 20 years later. Still getting loved!
    Old 05-28-2013, 03:26 PM

So far, most of the quilts I've made have been for babies, children. The moms usually say they will hang them on the wall or crib. I always tell them to let the kids play with them, lug them around, have tummy time on them, whatever. I remember blankets and quilts that my boys received as babies that they loved for years, and still have now in their 30s. I want the ones i make to be used and loved also.
    Old 09-04-2013, 07:56 PM

This reminds of something I once read--a woman wrote that she always saved the pretty towels for guests, the china for when company came for dinner, her good housecoat for making breakfast when she had overnight visitors, etc.--she did this until her husband died and she realized that he had been far more important than any guest. She wrote that she now regrets not using the "good stuff" every day. I think that holds true for most of us--our everyday people are the important ones. Treat them BETTER than you would treat an occasional guest.
    Old 09-04-2013, 10:08 PM

Yes, I do use mine and hope that every one that I have given as a gift is also being used. I put to much work and love in making them for them to be stuffed in a closet and never used.
    Old 09-04-2013, 11:34 PM

No hang up here as the dogs try to sit on them all the time or sleep below.also they are lovely and snuggle on a cold evening .
    Old 09-05-2013, 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by Quilts rock
    I have a few full size quilts I have made and they are in the linen closet. I was sorting closets yesterday and thought I should be using them. Every time I put them out on a bed I get stressed thinking what if someone spills something on them, or if they fade when washed. Does anyone else have this phobia?
    I use what I have. What good are they hidden away? Well, I guess the mice like them.
    Old 09-05-2013, 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by amh
    Use them. When I was growing up you couldn't use "nice" things, you saved them. That is a hard concept to shake, and it has taken me several decades to do it. Now, I believe that I deserve nice things. I use them. I use my good dishes, I use my good cultlery, I use my crystal wine glasses, etc. I deserve to use these things. What would I be I saving them for anyway.

With regard to the quilts, I actually go so far as to sleep under any quilt I'm going to give away. I tell them that I've tested it and it is warm and cosy.

I also write the following poem in the card of every baby quilt that I give away, just so mom and dad know that I want it used. To me there is no better feeling that a kid dragging that quilt around the yard, or wherever.

This quilt is made of cloth and thread
    to place upon your little bed.
    It's not an heirloom - just to keep,
    but to lay upon as you count sheep.
    Or perhaps the floor's the perfect place
    for a doll and teddy picnic space.
    This quilt can be anything you dream-
    from Superman's cape to the rope of a queen.
    Pretend it's a raft adrift at sea,
    or just cuddle up when you watch TV.
    So use it up and wear it out-
    I promise I won't yell or pout.
    Just tell me when it's days are through,
    and I'll make another, just for you.

I have not yet found a good poem to include in the larger quilts I give away, but if anyone has one, I'm interested.

Hope this helps.
    Most of what I make are personal sized quilts. I take a nap under each one before sending it on.
    Old 09-05-2013, 02:26 AM

When my mother died she left with a closet full of new items she didn't want to use.Sad it all went up for a garage sale. How sad.Mine are used everyday and so what if they get soiled,make another one........
    Old 09-05-2013, 02:36 AM

GrannieAnnie, I love that poem. It expresses exactly how I feel. I am going to borrow it to put in my baby niece's quilt, to make sure it doesn't get used for a wall hanging or shelved because "it's special." I made a lap quilt once for my mom (15 years ago) and she has never used it or displayed it because she is from the generation that keeps "the keepsakes" sealed up in a closet. Makes me sad.