Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Should I just give up? >
  • Should I just give up?

• Should I just give up?

Old 02-09-2011, 10:21 AM

Imsvd: I have looked and looked and I can't figure out which block is not right. Tell us. LOLOLOL
    Old 02-09-2011, 10:22 AM

Miss B: I am an intermediate quilter and I like a challenge. My BFF is pretty new, a perfectionist, and hard on herself. Last January, she and another friend (also a beginner) enrolled in a BOM at the LQS. Knowing BFF, and looking at the quilt, I thought that it was going to be a frustration for her. BTW, it is a Marti Michell design. So I offered to make it with her, using my own fabric. She got the BOM and templates and shared instructions with me. I have to tell you, I HATE those templates! But my friend did quite well. What she liked most was that she didn't feel overwhelmed by the size of the project --just one block a month. And since we were sharing, one of us had to finish so the other could use the templates. She finished all 12 blocks and is over halfway done with sashing and setting. Her goal is to have it to the longarm gal by 3/1.

SO while I agree that Marti Michell designs & templates can be challenging, I suggest you do the best you can. Decide what imperfections you can live with and which seams need to be redone. And... once done, quilting will hide alot of those little errors.
    Old 02-09-2011, 10:23 AM

Never give up. I have been quilting many years and still learn new things. If you quit you will never know how well you can do. The others in your class may do better but they may be far advaced in the knowledge and skills. I repeaat never give up on something you want to do. I wanted to play piano all my life and never had the opportunity until I was almost 50. I am still not great but the Lord granted me my hearts desire and I play in church now. In the past when I knew there was a piano player in the crowd I was intimidated until one reminded me that I am the one God put behind that piano. Do the best you can do and look back on this as a learning experience.
    Old 02-09-2011, 10:27 AM

Don't give up! When I first learned to quilt I signed up for a beginners sampler class (6 blocks). Each block taught us a technique such as curved piecing, applique, etc. I has hung over my mantle. I know where the mistakes are, but they aren't noticable to others. Your BOM may be more challenging but you will learn a lot of things and when you are finished you can have a wonderful quilt for your bed that will bring to mind memories of the time spent with your quilting group.
    Old 02-09-2011, 10:29 AM

dont give up , the way to learn is , learn from your mistakes !!
    everyone was were you are now when they started out!
    Old 02-09-2011, 10:59 AM

Keep going, you will be amazed at how much you improve from first block to last. I started that way and continue to learn from each and every quilt/block I make. Quilting will soon become your "happy place". Have to quilt everyday or I go into withdrawals.Keep on keeping on
    Old 02-09-2011, 11:04 AM

My opinion (and mine only): Giving up is not an option. You may need to work at a slower pace than the others to overcome your fears. I'm sure the other quilters are eager to see you persevere, and are proud of your efforts. I'm cheering you on. Hope to see you post the finished product at a later date.
    Old 02-09-2011, 11:16 AM
    Power Poster

I made lots of mistakes on my first BOM and every one had patience of a saint ecxept myself. I was my worst critic. Please continue, you will be glad you did when you finish the blocks and have a quilt to show off your hard work. Look forward to your progress.
    Old 02-09-2011, 11:23 AM

Don't give up. You'll be surprised at how good it looks when you get it all together.
    Old 02-09-2011, 11:30 AM

DIFFERENT take on this. First, I think you are very brave to have signed up for this in the first place! That is definitely a plus :)
    I noticed that you didn't say what exactly it is that you're having trouble with....???? Start there and do what it takes to improve. Ask for help...anywhere...including here! Then take the time to practice. I found that where I mess up most often is either in the cutting or sewing a straight seam. Bias pieces can also cause problems...it helps to use starch on those babies! Just KEEP Going! You will be proud of yourself in the end. (and so will we!) keep in touch here...maybe start a diary (PDA on the home screen) that we can all follow! Best of luck! What is your BOM like? I'd like to see it!