Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Should I make the investment? >
  • Should I make the investment?

• Should I make the investment?

Old 01-02-2016, 09:59 AM

Default Should I make the investment?

I have a Janome Magnolia 7330 which I love. But.....am looking at the Janome 6500P. Does anyone have an opinion on that machine before I make the investment? Why I think I need a new machine who knows? Guess the same reason I think I need more fabric.
    Old 01-02-2016, 10:28 AM

I have no idea about the machine. I just want to say I like your way of thinking🤗
    Old 01-02-2016, 10:31 AM
    Power Poster

I always look at do I NEED it or do I just WANT it. I am still happy with sewing on my Bernina 1530. It really isn't an investment. Welcome to the board.
    Old 01-02-2016, 10:41 AM

I have this machine in a previous model called Memory Craft 6600. The reason I bought it is for the large space for maneuvering a quilt when free-motion-quilting. I can easily do a king size on this machine without a problem. I like it for piecing, FMQ, and it is heavy and can handle lots of bulk. It also has an excellent x-large walking foot for stitch-in-the-ditch or wavy-line-quilting. It does an incredible job of SITD. The only negative is that the bobbin area lints up and has to be taken apart to clean every so often. By this I mean the whole bobbin case area has to be unscrewed and taken apart to get to the linty area. There are some facts for you to go on. Have a great day
    Old 01-02-2016, 10:56 AM

When I purchased a new machine, it was a tossup between the 6500 and the 6600. I think the biggest difference and the most important to me now is Accufeed system....built in walking foot....standard equipment on the 6600. I would encourage you to test drive the 6600 as well...it is a little more, but well worth it.
    Old 01-02-2016, 11:03 AM

you probably already know if you should make the investment if you have the funds and want it that is all you have to know
    Old 01-02-2016, 11:08 AM

Thanks so much for your input. Of course it is an "I want" not an "I need" so I guess I had better think about it for a little longer. (and just keep buying fabric for now!)
    Old 01-02-2016, 11:21 AM

http://www.gailvazoxlade.com/index.html

I am currently reading one of Gail Vax Oxlade's books on money management. She has a TV show in Canada called 'Until Debt do us Part'.

I have to be very mindful of how I spend my money. And yes I did buy a new machine in the Fall. It was not a need, but was a want. I had money in my budget for it and paid cash.

If you want a new Janome, slow down on the fabric purchases, until you have saved up the money. Maybe you can find a demo model or trade in.
    Old 01-02-2016, 11:40 AM

I don't know anything about the Janome 6500P but I too have a Janome Magnolia 7330 and love it. This machine will probably last me for the rest of my life since I also have a Singer TouchTronic machine for a backup. Oh yes, there are more bells & whistles on other machines out there but this one is meeting my needs plus I love it.
    Old 01-02-2016, 11:44 AM

There is a Singer S18 which is identical to the Janome 6500P and is made for Singer by Janome and it is a couple of hundred dollars less. Just a thought.

Watson