Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Should there be multiple goals when teaching classes? >
  • Should there be multiple goals when teaching classes?

• Should there be multiple goals when teaching classes?

Old 07-17-2012, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by TanyaL
    I think that I would get better instruction if I would have some specific construction questions on my quilt or blocks and then hired a teacher for an hour or two to teach me what I was having trouble doing. I would get individual instruction on exactly what I was having problems with. I don't need a rah rah support group to finish a project, only instruction when I get stuck.
    Love your answer, that is the reason I have not taken the classes, if I want a Tea party I'll invite some friends over..
    There are excellent videos to watch with out chitter/chatter in the back ground.
    Old 07-17-2012, 05:32 AM

Never took a class, I find pretty much more than I need on the internet for free.
    Old 07-17-2012, 05:38 AM

I personally think there are many reasons for taking a class - education being only one of those things. Thinking outside the box and having fun are the things I think about before paying for a class. First, at my age, if I don't believe it will be FUN I don't want to waste my time or my money. I want to be stimulated, excited and eager to try something new. If I want 'instructions' I go to books or utube.
    `
    Old 07-17-2012, 05:39 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by Latrinka
    Never took a class, I find pretty much more than I need on the internet for free.
    while this is TRUE...remember it is also the reason shops close! Classes are really the bread and butter of most shops. Especially in smaller/rural areas. AND once in a while it does not hurt to go and meet people, spread your creative wings, etc.....
    Old 07-17-2012, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by Grace MooreLinker
    Love your answer, that is the reason I have not taken the classes, if I want a Tea party I'll invite some friends over..
    You might check out what classes are like at various places. I have never been to one that is chit-chatty. My LQS apparently runs a tight ship. I say hi to the person sitting next to me, and if it is a day long class, we usually go to lunch in small groups, but there isn't time to chat during class. So for me, class has never been a time to make sewing friends.
    Old 07-17-2012, 06:07 AM

I am sad that you had a bad experience with classes. I love taking classes and learning new techniques and meeting new people. There are always so many new ideas that come with each class. I think it is so fun to see how different each person thinks about a pattern and the different fabric used and the way they put it together. I don't think I have been to a `class that I didn't get the help I needed. Don't quit taking classes just because one wasn't up to your expectations.
    Old 07-17-2012, 06:19 AM

A one off class isn't enough time to learn a technique especially if you are a beginner. A week by week class is better. If you have experience then as jodimarie said there is so much free information on the net. Do you have a friend or two whom you could invite in once a week and pool your knowledge. Decide what you want to learn and search the internet before hand and find a couple of videos on your subject. You can also ask here on the board for information. You could also borrow books from the library to learn from.
    I belong to a group of three and we share all knowledge. We did meet in a weekly class around 8 years ago. We were originally a group of 5 but one friend passed away 3 years ago and another's husband has cancer.
    We started a private group because the women supposedly teaching us was more often in the shop and not the class room and the beginners were asking the more experienced among us for help. She also didn't want to share information with her students.
    Our little group have so much fun and are always ready to help each other.
    Old 07-17-2012, 06:39 AM

I like to take classes mainly because I live alone and it get me out of the house. I usually take a class on something small and unusual. I have taken a class on Mondo Bags twice, it was inexpensive and the class was small. I just finished that the project was a pick-up truck or a cow, both were wimsecal and so much fun to do. Next I may do the Texas Long Horn cow. I don't think I would ever spend a lot of money on a class that was a big project, like the others I would rather have the video then you can work at your own pace.
    Old 07-17-2012, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by Skittl1321
    You might check out what classes are like at various places. I have never been to one that is chit-chatty. My LQS apparently runs a tight ship. I say hi to the person sitting next to me, and if it is a day long class, we usually go to lunch in small groups, but there isn't time to chat during class. So for me, class has never been a time to make sewing friends.
    Me, too. It's not that I'm antisocial by any stretch of the imagination. It's just that I've always been goal oriented and my goal in laying out a large sum of money is to learn something worthy of the price I paid, especially if I'm told I have to purchase their overly priced merchandise in order to participate in their class.
    Old 07-17-2012, 07:42 AM
    Banned

I might also add that shops that require you to purchase ALL of your items for a class in their shop, are best to be avoided. I can see getting the pattern maybe, but really, what if I prefer batiks and they don't carry them? Or I need to shop my stash before I invest in a project I won't like....never cared for the "buy it here" policy. Now if they off you a discount for buying there for your class that is one thing, but it should only be an option, not a LAW!