Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Shredding thread >
  • Shredding thread

• Shredding thread

Old 10-08-2022, 10:00 AM

Angry Shredding thread

I have a Mega Quilter on a Grace frame. After several years of great quilting I’m having issues with the top thread shredding. I can quilt half a quilt without problems and then the top thread starts shredding every 3 to 6 inches. I have changed the needle, thread, cleaned and oiled the machine. If I take it off the frame and just piece it works fine. For a while if I pieced and then put it back on the frame it would be fine for a while but now all it does is shred the thread. I’ve taken it in for service but they can’t find anything wrong. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Old 10-08-2022, 10:21 AM
    Power Poster

This is just a guess, but... when you're piecing, you're going at a much slower speed than when you're quilting. So any rough spot the thread encounters (bad needle, burr in a thread guide, etc.) won't cause as much of a problem. So go through the usual steps. Make sure the needle size matches your thread size. Try a new and larger needle. Make sure there are no burrs on the thread guides, throat plate, or hook. Make sure the bobbin is good and properly wound. Good luck.
    Old 10-08-2022, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by dunster
    This is just a guess, but... when you're piecing, you're going at a much slower speed than when you're quilting. So any rough spot the thread encounters (bad needle, burr in a thread guide, etc.) won't cause as much of a problem. So go through the usual steps. Make sure the needle size matches your thread size. Try a new and larger needle. Make sure there are no burrs on the thread guides, throat plate, or hook. Make sure the bobbin is good and properly wound. Good luck.
    What Dunster said.
    Old 10-08-2022, 02:10 PM
    Gay

Had a similar issue before, and found if I sprayed the cone well with silicone spray it helped a lot. The silicone does not affect the fabric.
    Old 10-08-2022, 04:01 PM

Just wondering if soaking the thread might help with your problem. I have done this with some thread that wasn't working well on my longarm, and it did make a difference. I was amazed that the oil didn't show up on the quilt. I used some sewing machine oil.
    A note about Sharon Schamber soaking her embroidery and quilting thread in oil, then patting the cone dry before using.
    https://seedlingssewn.weebly.com/sus...ad-controversy

This is for an embroidery machine, but it should help with any machines.
    https://www.sewingmachinefun.com/emb...read-breaking/

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 10-08-2022 at 04:05 PM.
    Old 10-09-2022, 05:24 AM

Might you have advanced the quilt a bit too tight? I remember when I had my MegaQuilter, it stitched beautifully with any thread I threw at it. Loved that machine but didn't like the 9 inch throat, needed larger. Sounds like you've done everything else I would have tried,.............changed needles, rethreaded, checked for burrs, etc.

Hope you get it figured out.