Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • sick of cutting and sewing 2" squares, what was I thinking >
  • sick of cutting and sewing 2" squares, what was I thinking

• sick of cutting and sewing 2" squares, what was I thinking

Old 08-03-2011, 03:50 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Originally Posted by Chester the bunny
    Maybe do your quilt in stages. Have your box of 2" squares by your sewing machine and whenever you are working on another project, sew two squares together to "end" whatever you are working on. It is then your "leader" whenever you start up again. Then you have a bunch of twosies, which become foursies ect... It will take you a long time but I guess this could be advice for anyone thinking about someday making a PS quilt. Get started NOW!

Carole
    That is how in making mine.. A leaders and enders quilt made up of 2in squares.. I use my Accuquilt Go 2in die to cut up my scraps...
    Old 08-03-2011, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by debbieumphress
    OM my. I cringe when I hear postage stamp. Maybe one day and I like the idea to cut a 2-1/2" pc of scraps and put them in individual jars so no doubles. Nowe I can start that anyway. And if I decide not to make one, I can PIF. I alreayd send small scraps to several who do these quilts. Hope you let us see yours when you finish, and you will finish it, we have faith in you.....:)
    If you decide to PIF with your small pieces, keep me in mind. That might be an easier way to have more fabrics.
    Old 08-03-2011, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Chester the bunny
    Maybe do your quilt in stages. Have your box of 2" squares by your sewing machine and whenever you are working on another project, sew two squares together to "end" whatever you are working on. It is then your "leader" whenever you start up again. Then you have a bunch of twosies, which become foursies ect... It will take you a long time but I guess this could be advice for anyone thinking about someday making a PS quilt. Get started NOW!

Carole
    That is what I have been doing and now I am putting some 4's together to make 16s. Still a long way to go.
    Old 08-03-2011, 04:21 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by sparkys_mom
    Whenever I see a pattern that calls for cutting hundreds of 2" squares I move on to the next page. :?
    Boy, sparkys_mom, you really said it!
    Good luck, I'm sure it will be beautiful.
    Old 08-03-2011, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by sparkys_mom
    Originally Posted by intoquilting
    I let a friend talk me into doing a postage stamp quilt using 2" squares. I don't think I will live long enough to finish it. LOL but I need to because I am determined to finish before she does. I am really tired of cutting 2" squares and trying to sew them together without having any 2 of the same fabric. What was I thinking??????? I am putting 16 of them together into a block. Will I ever finish? It remains to be seen.
    Whenever I see a pattern that calls for cutting hundreds of 2" squares I move on to the next page. :?
    same here,life is too short,lol
    Old 08-03-2011, 04:32 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by ube quilting
    If your fabric is in strips, why not strip piece them. That's how i do mine. Do you know how to do this method? I made a steps to the alter which is veery similar with thousands of small pieces and strip pieceing is really quick compared to individual squares.
    peace

http://www.seamstobeyouandme.com/wor...lock-tutorial/
    Oh, I know how to strip piece but we decided to do it out of small scraps that we had. Dumb idea. We are trying to get more different squares this way. I may do some strip piecing before I get finished.
    Very cool!
    Old 08-03-2011, 04:45 PM

Wishing You a lot of luck, I made mine, never again
    that small, and it was only 900 pieces !
    Old 08-03-2011, 04:46 PM
    Power Poster

I am thinking Yay...I'm not alone! amongst other things I have a postage stamp in progress - English Paper Piecing 1 inch finished squares...I just hop on the internet and look at others who have finished theirs to keep me motivated. You can do it...and just think how amazing it will look:)
    Old 08-03-2011, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by AFQSinc
    Oh gosh! I am thinking about starting Oh Fransson's Tokyo Subway quilt. 1,600 2 inch squares. I'm getting a little scared.

Your postage stamp quilt is going to be beautiful. I hope that you will post it when you're done. Any chance you might post some progress pics?
    I love the Tokyo Subway quilt, but couldn't muster up the energy to deal with all those tiny squares! Just couldn't do it!

But you have such a good start! Keep up the good work!
    Old 08-03-2011, 05:25 PM

I let a friend talk me into doing a postage stamp quilt using 2" squares. I don't think I will live long enough to finish it. LOL but I need to because I am determined to finish before she does. I am really tired of cutting 2" squares and trying to sew them together without having any 2 of the same fabric. What was I thinking??????? I am putting 16 of them together into a block. Will I ever finish? It remains to be seen.
    Ohhhhh yes....don't get me started. Several years ago I cut a quilt out. The whole thing all in 2" squares. Well I had spent alot of time moving over the years and just pulled it back out a few months ago to finish it up so I could move on. I thought I would never get done. And looking at it, I realized I could have cut this out in strips and the quilt is gorgeous. So I wrote notes in my book about how to cut this with strips. I am putting the saching on that quilt now. And I love the quilt. Maybe thats why I pressed on! Good luck, can't wait to see it.